Flavoring

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MrBrew69
Novice

Flavoring

Post by MrBrew69 »

I just did a 5 gal apple run. 20 lbs of apples peeled, cored and juiced. 2 Gallons 100% apple juice. 10 lbs sugar. Total was 5 gallons. Alcohol content roughly 12% based off Specific gravity test before and after fermentation. 1 QT concentrated apple juice in thumper. Ended up with 3/4 gallons 100 proof keepable/drinkable. No apple flavor at all. Had the apple smell though. Without using extracts how do you get the natural flavors of the fruit to carry over into product?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Flavoring

Post by NZChris »

Sugar makes neutral, so you effectively made apple brandy but diluted it with a large dose of neutral.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Little light on the thumper charge . Also , more apple flavor may develop with age .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

As Chris pointed out, adding sugar takes away flavor in addition removing the peel before juicing takes away flavor and as TB pointed out apple may take some time to develop the apple flavor. Apple can be hard, the flavor is usually in the heads and can take a while to show itself. When it does, hopefully what you will wind up with the ghost of the fruit you started with. Give it time and see what develops.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good advice given, when I am making apple brandy I shoot for 8% in my fermentation. I am guessing you added yeast, which one did you use?
MrBrew69
Novice

Post by MrBrew69 »

So would you recommend leaving the peels on?
MrBrew69
Novice

Post by MrBrew69 »

I use Red Star Dady Distillers active dry yeast from LD Carlson
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

MrBrew69 wrote:So would you recommend leaving the peels on?
Yes.
MrBrew69 wrote:I use Red Star Dady Distillers active dry yeast from LD Carlson
The problem with DADY is it is a grain yeast. My personal opinion is you need a cider or wine yeast for best results with brandy. I will say that some people swear by some ale yeasts like S-04, US-05 or Nottingham. I like wine yeasts myself and always recommend using EC-1118 for brandy until you get the hang of it then branch out to other yeast. Cuts on 1118 are distinct and easy where others yeasts can make cuts pretty difficult and apple flavor tends to come over in the heads which can add even more challenge to getting the flavor.
MrBrew69
Novice

Post by MrBrew69 »

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Will order some up.