Feints

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

firefighterwhiskey
Novice

Feints

Post by firefighterwhiskey »

Hey all, just wondering what everyone uses to store their feints for an end of season all feints run? I know glass is probably best but that is going to get expensive since I plan on having at least 4-5 gallons by the time I'm ready to run it all. Any and all advice welcome!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Feints

Post by Still Life »

How 'bout just a 5-gallon glass carboy?
carboy.jpg
carboy.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I have (five) 5 gallon carboys and they all seem to have some feints or low wines in them most of the time. The glass makes me nervous due to the fact if it breaks, you could have an emergency that may not turn out well. You just have to be careful and try and keep them in a plastic tote for safety and handle with extreme care when transferring product. I have an extra 15 gal ss keg that is great for storing low wines in till you get enough, but a PITA to handle. I have a dozen or so 1 gal glass wine jugs that are helpful too when storage gets short. When I first started the hobby I used the wifeys ss large canning pots till I came up with other stuff. I now have two 5 gal oak barrels to store my finished spirit runs in and lots of whiskey bottles to keep a stash of finished ageing rum and whiskey. I found all my carboys at yard sales and didn't pay much. One of the easiest to come by, is ss 5 gal Co2 containers that are used to supply Co2 for coke and beverages. You may find some retired ones cheap at your local supplier that replaces them for all their vendors. They have rubber gaskets that you will have to cover with teflon though. You will have to make some sort of wooden stand for them since many of the older ones have a round bottom.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Sanke or corny kegs work well.. but also use carboys and gallon jugs.

B
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Gallon vinegar jugs , half gallon Mason jars , carboys . They all rise to the task at hand and don't care what you put in them .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Gosh, before starting this hobby...I never had to worry about where to put my feints.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I like mason jars myself, I have lots of carboys and a sixtel keg but a 12 pack of quart mason jars on sale at Ace hardware in the summer for $8 holds 3 gallons, 2 cases holds six and 4 cases exactly how much I need for a run in my keg and if for some reason one breaks I haven't lost everything. and they are easy to store because they stack on a shelf or under a table real well.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cranky wrote:I like mason jars myself, I have lots of carboys and a sixtel keg but a 12 pack of quart mason jars on sale at Ace hardware in the summer for $8 holds 3 gallons, 2 cases holds six and 4 cases exactly how much I need for a run in my keg and if for some reason one breaks I haven't lost everything. and they are easy to store because they stack on a shelf or under a table real well.
:thumbup: Well explained .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Kegs. If I see one it comes home with me. Collect strip runs in a ss stock pot then funnel it into a keg. They're great for ageing also.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Carboys or corny kegs work great. You can get used cornys for $40-$50 bucks and carboys for half of that. As pointed out above, be vigilant with glass. :eugeek:
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

Still Life wrote:How 'bout just a 5-gallon glass carboy?
carboy.jpg
What do you use to cap it off ?
"If you look down at me you'll see a fool; if you look up at me you'll see a god; if you look straight at me you'll see yourself"....C.manson
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

bitter wrote:Sanke or corny kegs work well.. but also use carboys and gallon jugs.

B
I have a corny keg. how do you transfer the feints into the keg. Do you store them at full proof?

EDIT-its a 1/6 barrel keg..not a corny
Last edited by Old Man Bakke on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you look down at me you'll see a fool; if you look up at me you'll see a god; if you look straight at me you'll see yourself"....C.manson
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

cranky wrote:I like mason jars myself, I have lots of carboys and a sixtel keg but a 12 pack of quart mason jars on sale at Ace hardware in the summer for $8 holds 3 gallons, 2 cases holds six and 4 cases exactly how much I need for a run in my keg and if for some reason one breaks I haven't lost everything. and they are easy to store because they stack on a shelf or under a table real well.
Mason jars? leads me to believe you are storing them at 80 proof or so? I cant imagine mason jars are good for storage at full proof?!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’ve got about 75 gallons worth of carboys in 3/5/6 gallon sizes. I use these for storage and clearing of wort after a ferment in the 20g brutes. Also for low wines, feints, and backset. Some of them have wine and meads bulk ageing. I have a couple vacuum pumps that work great for xfers and degassing. Auto siphon too. I use airlocks and headspace eliminators to seal the carboys. I use a Vadai barrel for wine that will hold my HBB later this spring. Several five gallon buckets with marks for gallons 1/2/3/4/5. New make has been going into gallon glass jugs with oak fingers - then into cardboard boxes w/heavy duty cardboard separators. I’ll use a 3gallon carboy to blend my cuts but not larger before xfer into gallon jugs 3/4 full. I am also paranoid of the glass.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Old Man Bakke wrote:
carboy.jpg
I use a #7 rubber bung on my 5 gal car boy.

I have built up quite the collection of mason jars with this hobby, of varying sizes. If you go the mason jar route, they do make 1/2 gal jars that take the same lids as the quarts, so maybe this is a happy medium between lots of small jars and a carboy?

Tip: Always save the box your jars come in, and reinforce with duct tape so they stay together and last longer. A good fitting box will help with stacking and safety.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

OtisT wrote:
Old Man Bakke wrote:
carboy.jpg
I use a #7 rubber bung on my 5 gal car boy.

I have built up quite the collection of mason jars with this hobby, of varying sizes. If you go the mason jar route, they do make 1/2 gal jars that take the same lids as the quarts, so maybe this is a happy medium between lots of small jars and a carboy?

Tip: Always save the box your jars come in, and reinforce with duct tape so they stay together and last longer. A good fitting box will help with stacking and safety.

Otis

Still confused on having a full proof feint stored in a container with a rubber or ,in the case of mason jars , the extruded pvc seal on the canning lid.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

A real cork stopper works a treat in a carboy. But you’ll need a number 7 cork to fit most carboys. You can order them online for cheap. Getcha’ a few...they’re handy.
ss

Here’s where I got mine: http://www.widgetco.com/7-cork-stoppers-xxxx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

OMB, I use common wax paper to cover my juice. You can use it under the screw band instead of the lid on a mason jar and you can also make a cap for your carboy with a little tape. Not to tight and it will breath. YMMV :eugeek:
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

awww, Wax Paper...great solution!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

WIski wrote:OMB, I use common wax paper to cover my juice. You can use it under the screw band instead of the lid on a mason jar and you can also make a cap for your carboy with a little tape. Not to tight and it will breath. YMMV :eugeek:
Thanks for the idea.

I have about four dozen Fowlers preserving jars ('canning jars' in USA) some three inch diameter at the top and some four inch (approximate).
I may find more in garage sales etc.
I will need lids, rubber sealing rings, and because they will not be heat sealed as in the canning process, clips. (Normally used in the canning process but I will leave them on permanently...)
I had thought of new stainless lids at about $2 lge, $1.25 small; but if I cover with wax paper or similar, old lids would be fine. I would need to cover the (NEW) rubber rings anyway....
So I will see what turns up at the garage sales etc.

At the moment I am washing the jars and covering them with aluminium foil to keep the dust out.

Geoff
The Baker
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rubber bungs stink and the flavour gets into what's in the jar. You can get non-rubber bungs.

Geoff
The Baker
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

You can also wrap rubber bungs in ptfe tape. Same with screw caps for gallon jugs.