strong yeast smell

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

leroyz
Novice

strong yeast smell

Post by leroyz »

Hello been searching for some ideas on how have a good run without having to use charcoal to remove yeast flavor? I used bread yeast in 5 gal mash 10 lbs sugar and 5 lbs of cracked corn , still came out with a distinct yeast smell . It is an electric pot still and doesn't get over 200 so I don't believe it burps an if it did i have a tumper so it should catch it. Question is it comes out clear , tastes good (esp after charcoal treatment) but what can I do to improve the run so I don't have to filter?
Thanks all
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: strong yeast smell

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

If you only ran it once, dilute to below 40% abv and run it again.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Run it until the collection is somewhere around 30% so that you don't have to dilute it. Do three or four of these stripping runs, then a spirit run using Kiwistiller's guide to cuts.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

NZChris wrote: then a spirit run using Kiwistiller's guide to cuts.
you are doing cuts, right?

i mean, after airing out your spirit in an open top or lightly covered large mouth vessel in a relatively still air environment. You would be amazed at how much stink disappears. personally i air the spirit sometimes upwards of 5 days. (still air is important if you don't want drunk angels laying about the still house.)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm not a fan of overdoing airing, especially for nice smelling jars that are obviously going to make the heart cut. I spend a lot of time and effort making the likker in those jars and I want it for myself, so I only leave the dubious jars airing for the angels.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My wife complains of yeast taste if I use bread yeast, even when I do a double run and long careful neutral. Maybe you are like her, my solution was to use a different yeast.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

generally speaking it is cold as a witches titty here and the key is still air. I almost always go 2 or three days, because i can smell stuff i don't like after 24hrs. Even on a good ferment.
and as mentioned sometimes 5+ days, as was a recent case on a ferment that i pitched too hot on.

but even after 5 days the loss was less than 1% so i thought that was OK.

of course doing the ferment right makes everything easier and better. I have this bad habit of trying to find different ways not to do things though. :oops:

Crankster, i did just change my main yeast to a new DADY that is really showing clean results. works fast too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Give your wash time to rest after fermentation is complete. Extra time gives yeast the chance to settle out of suspension. I've noticed that this reduces the level of yeastiness in the aroma while you are running, so it makes sense it would reduce yeasty flavors as well.

Saving up a few stripping runs, diluting, and running again will help, and get rid of the need to charcoal filter.
leroyz
Novice

Post by leroyz »

Thanks for all the help
leroyz
Novice

Post by leroyz »

I combined two runs together and did a 2nd stripping run an WOW it came out great , 160 proof and bearley any yeast smell .. Thanks everyone for the great advise!!