Good bourbon + bad bourbon = ?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good bourbon + bad bourbon = ?

Post by Stargazer14 »

I have been doing a number of mashes and runs to make a barrel of bourbon (my receipe: 7lbs corn, 2lbs 6-row, 1lb malted rye)
but may have made a mistake that will set me back.
I had a 5gallon mash that got infected, I knew it when it was about finished, had a smell not like the others and did not taste all that great.
I ran it anyway and set those bottles aside to investigate if there was anyway to use it in the future.
Well a few mashes later I was dumping previous low wines in a run and... yep, I accidently dumped 2 bottles of the bad spirits into my stripping run with all the good stuff.

Now I have a few gallons of hearts that have that off taste that came thru. I run a pot still so Its not like I can just use it for vodka someday.

I tried doing some research on the forum to see if this stuff is usable, or the taste will eventually go away with aging, but not finding the info I am looking for in 'infected' searches.

Have a gallon or so of really nice fresh bourbon, the difference is not hard to distinguish.

My question - is this 2 gallons a lost cause?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Good bourbon + bad bourbon = ?

Post by still_stirrin »

Can you describe the taste...besides, "bad"?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

yeah that would sure help as there are countless types of infections. Sour milk type flavour is lactic and maybe of some use, vinegarish is an acetic infection and pretty difficult to get anything useful from
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

I think its a lactic infection from what I've read. As far as describing the taste, well, I'm not good at describing taste, the good stuff is pleasantly drinkable and you can tell aging will make a very fine drink -
this stuff however has an off smell
and when you drink it you drink it, it is not horrible but not something you want to sip on. Not vinegar, just a slighly foul aftertaste.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

You might just add water to 30 % ABV and re-run it. It's worth a try. That subtle off taste may diminish enough to be good.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Stargazer14 wrote:I think its a lactic infection from what I've read...this stuff however has an off smell and when you drink it you drink it, it is not horrible....but not something you want to sip on. Not vinegar, just a slighly foul aftertaste.
Not much help with the description. Have you brewed with rye before? It will give you a sharp, somewhat bitter taste like sourdough bread. But I don't know if that's what you're tasting without a better description.

When you said "infection", did you see the pellicle? That would give you a hint as to the type of infection. It is not uncommon for grains, especially corn, to carry lactobacillus. What's more, once it's "planted" in your brewery, it can be difficult to eliminate. But, some distillers try to culture the lacto infections because of the flavors produced in the ferment. So, to those who do the taste is not bad, rather more complex. YMMV.

If you got a vineger mother, then you've got problems. It will reduce the alcohol in the ferment. The vinegar bacteria is carried by flies, specifically fruit flies. So if you see those you could be victimized by the bugs.

Other bacteria can create smells and tastes that you won't want to smell or taste...puke, crap, dirty diapers, etc. Hope you don't/didn't get one of those.

As grasshopper advised, you can try to dilute and rerun it. That may help...depending on the actual infection.

Good luck with it.
ss
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

could it be tails smell, can be quite offensive to some
Don't be a dick
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Swedish Pride wrote:could it be tails smell, can be quite offensive to some
I've heard some say, "it smells like ass"...whatever that means...good?? or bad!
ss
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

Swedish Pride wrote:could it be tails smell, can be quite offensive to some
No, I have a number of good runs with cuts that are very drinkable so this is certainly an infection (was bad before running thru the still)
just wondering if anyone ever got any use out of an infected mash.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

most of mine get an infection, no bother, let it sit on oak for 1yr+ and it will turn out nice.
some folks intentionally infect their beer to get an other dimension to their whiskey.
Don't be a dick
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Swedish Pride wrote:most of mine get an infection, no bother...
Cough,cough...thats what she said,cough...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!