Flavoring diluting question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ferthy
Novice

Flavoring diluting question

Post by Ferthy »

Well I'm new to distilling. I have some white lightning that I got from doing a spirit run on UJSM. I have made several different fruit flavored spirits following the panty-dropper recipe in the tried and true section. This time however I used a pint of white stuff at ~72% abv. And after soaking it with strawberries was going to dilute it down to ~30% abv. I soaked the strawberries longer than I have done so before. About a month as opposed to a week or so.

After soaking I decided to measure the proof before I started the sugaring and diluting process. I have never done this before. I have just soaked sugared the fruit and used the syrup do dilute down to a predetermined volume to get me the 30% abv. However, instead of being at the 72% I started with it was down to 40%. Volume didnt change. I have just over a pint. I factor the increase due to the frozen strawberries I used giving off some liquid.

Could my ABV drop that much without any volume decrease? Or did soaking the strawberries change my stuff so much as to give an inaccurate reading? Seems like a stupid question, but I have to ask it.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: Flavoring diluting question

Post by jedneck »

Abv is still close to the same. The sugars an other compouns/solids from the fruit make the reading off. Gotta use math to figure out dilution
Last edited by jedneck on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not sure after freezing but the sugar content in the strawberries will throw your reading off.
edit: posting at the same time as Jedneck
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

Okay that is what I thought. Just needed to ask since I'm in new territory.