Running Brandy for first time

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

houston_distrillery
Novice

Running Brandy for first time

Post by houston_distrillery »

Hi,

We ran a brandy this past weekend, but we didn't use the reflux and just turned our column into a traditional column, but we packed it with halfway from the top and bottom with copper mesh and raschig rings in the middle. We put in 11,250 ml of table wine and set to high heat. At 150 we turned on our condenser and started getting distillate at 173. We collected every 200 ml. On jar 3 we started noticing we were hitting our hearts and changed the temp from high to medium high. We collected two more jars with jar 5 subjectively being our best.

On jar 6 we started to notice a slight burning smell to the jar and it got worse as we hit jar 7 and 8. We decided to shut down on jar 8. Any idea on what we may have done wrong?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Running Brandy for first time

Post by Pikey »

You'll have to explain what you mean by "Changed the temp from high to medium high". We don't know what still you are running, and it sounds like one of the bought ones such as a T500 ?

Also what is a "Burning smell" - I get that when I burn out a drill, or light a fire - what did it smell like ? were you worried you were burnng your still out ?? what temp were you registering (I assume you refer to head temperature)
houston_distrillery
Novice

Running a 8 gallon pot still on an electric burner, so we changed the temp on the burner from high to medium high to try and stretch out our run. The burning smell was almost similar to a campfire smell. It was our first time running, so we weren't sure if that was normal especially since we weren't getting that earlier even from our heads.

We started getting that smell on jar 6 and the head temp fluctuated from 188.5 to 178 and back to 186. It then rose to 200, peaking at 205.5 before we decided to shut it down.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Was it the electric burner maybe? Something spilled on a new burner can stink up the area.
houston_distrillery
Novice

Still Life wrote:Was it the electric burner maybe? Something spilled on a new burner can stink up the area.
Naw, smell comes from distillate itself.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Oh, hey, did you do a sacrificial alcohol cleaning run if that's a new still?
It may be construction dirt/oils.
Mandatory water/vinegar boil followed by a sacrificial alcohol cleaning run is mandatory on all new stills.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

houston_distrillery wrote:We ran a brandy this past weekend, but we didn't use the reflux and just turned our column into a traditional column......Running a 8 gallon pot still on an electric burner
Forgive me, I'm confused as normal :lol:
So your running a CM column without reflux :?: also known as running detuned :lol:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

houston_distrillery wrote:Running a 8 gallon pot still on an electric burner, so we changed the temp on the burner from high to medium high to try and stretch out our run. The burning smell was almost similar to a campfire smell. It was our first time running, so we weren't sure if that was normal especially since we weren't getting that earlier even from our heads. ...........
Ok so you reduced the power heating the pot - sounds fine :thumbup:

How do those jars taste - have you scorched something ?

[Edit 205 F is a little early to shut down, most go to 212F or thereabouts - so you've left some tails in the pot - but that's fine - you've got most of teh 2Godd stuff" & you'll get the "feel" as time goes on.
Last edited by Pikey on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I do red and white wine runs every week, and over the years learned that the wine has to be cleared, as if it were to be bottled, and run on low heat..

I start with full power (5500w), when the temp at the bottom of the column indicates 165 degrees F, I lower the heat to 2000w or 13 amps on my meter, and reflux for half hour to compress the heads out, once the heads are done I basicly run as a pot still until one 186/187 F (bottom temp), then start compressing again for tails until 195 F..

Wine not cleared or push to fast will smell harsh, and the fores and heads have a very strong smell to them..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thanks Mars 8)

I ran a brandy off my "Suppin'wine" a few weeks ago, on my pot and it ran just fine (white wine - not cleared) - certainly no "Odd smells" - I'd like to hear how it tastes - because a little spillage on the plate can migrate to " Hellfire and damnation" quickly and sometimes a "Time Out" might get us back - Or it might be a real problem ! :?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

shadylane wrote:
houston_distrillery wrote:We ran a brandy this past weekend, but we didn't use the reflux and just turned our column into a traditional column......Running a 8 gallon pot still on an electric burner
Forgive me, I'm confused as normal :lol:
So your running a CM column without reflux :?: also known as running detuned :lol:
What do you mean by "didn't use the reflux" - we need to know what you are running ! A pot is not the same as a CM or VM or LM in "Reflux mode" - schpill der beenz ! :)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well, it's monday!!! He must have figured it out now.
Hope him the best :thumbup:
houston_distrillery
Novice

StillerBoy wrote:I do red and white wine runs every week, and over the years learned that the wine has to be cleared, as if it were to be bottled, and run on low heat..

I start with full power (5500w), when the temp at the bottom of the column indicates 165 degrees F, I lower the heat to 2000w or 13 amps on my meter, and reflux for half hour to compress the heads out, once the heads are done I basicly run as a pot still until one 186/187 F (bottom temp), then start compressing again for tails until 195 F..

Wine not cleared or push to fast will smell harsh, and the fores and heads have a very strong smell to them..

Mars
I was out of town for the weekend, so didn't get a chance to check on the replies. I think what we did is push it too fast. After all of our research, that's what we've kind of arrived to.