Blending

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JohnDrake
Novice

Blending

Post by JohnDrake »

If this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it there.

Looking/reading through the various forum categories, I see where it is a must to discard at least the first 50ml/gallon that comes out of a pot still. I understand this and fully agree.

If several batches are run, with the corresponding amount discarded per run, per gallon, when all of the runs (hearts only) are combined, will it still be necessary to discard the first 50ml/gallon again, or is that just a safety measure?

If this is answered somewhere already, please direct me. And thank you all for your patience.

JD
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Blending

Post by NZChris »

I depends on what you are making. Use your senses rather than numbers someone tells you on the internet.

The first jar off is seldom included anyway, so any nasties will end up in the first heads jar rather than in your final blend.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I myself take a pint for foreshots and early heads, that's on a 15.5 gal keg and 15.5 gal thumper.

My fruit washes have a lot of heads but that's not a bad thing.
JohnDrake
Novice

Post by JohnDrake »

Thanks, Gents! I am extremely careful (paranoid) about what I put in my body. I really like the fact that by makin' yer own, you can eliminate (really?) the possibility of a hangover.

NZChris, I will start trusting my senses, as that's what's going to determine the final product, whether I drink it, or rerun it.

ShineOn, haven't tried anything exotic like a fruit wash yet, but it's on my list!

Thankyou!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

JohnDrake wrote:Thanks, Gents! I am extremely careful (paranoid) about what I put in my body. I really like the fact that by makin' yer own, you can eliminate (really?) the possibility of a hangover.
you understand that ethanol is a toxic solvent right?

and sure, if you mean when you are makin' yer own...ya got got so much likker that you can stay drunk and avoid a hangover...you are definitely starting to get the hang of this.

yep, feelin' a little :moresarcasm: tonite. :ebiggrin:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
JohnDrake
Novice

Post by JohnDrake »

" HDNB replied:
"you understand that ethanol is a toxic solvent right?""
Lol! Thanks for the warning, but I consider ethanol to be a joint, muscle, and brain cell lubricant. :wink:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

JohnDrake wrote:
" HDNB replied:
"you understand that ethanol is a toxic solvent right?""
Lol! Thanks for the warning, but I consider ethanol to be a joint, muscle, and brain cell lubricant. :wink:
Hollerin "hey honey I'm getting lubed up tonight" could have dire consequences jus sayin
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Or a positive reaction. Lol
Depends on how you look at it