Corn whisky with sugar?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mikehoover
Novice

Corn whisky with sugar?

Post by mikehoover »

I saw a distillery's product they call "White Lightning" on their label and below that in smaller letters "Corn Whiskey". I visited the distillery the other day and during the tasting the fellow said the only ingredients in that product are "corn, sugar, water and yeast." I assume they were talking about cane sugar. The definition of Corn Whisky indicates at least 80% corn in the recipe but does not specify what the other 20% could be. I figure they give the distillery the 20% flexibility to use ample barley for the enzymes. Is sugar an acceptable ingredient in Corn Whisky?
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Corn whisky with sugar?

Post by bitter »

Look in the tried and true for Uncle Jesse Simple Sour Mash UJSSM

B
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: Corn whisky with sugar?

Post by bluefish_dist »

In the us, it is technically not whiskey as I read the BAM, whiskey has to be all grain. Typically that 20% would be malted grain for conversion. Corn whiskey is also one of the few whiskeys that does not have to be aged, but if it is, it has to be in uncharred barrels.
The label approval process is very inconsistent, so it is possible that they got the label approved with sugar in it, but as I read it, it is not correct.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051