Aunt Jemima corn meal, pitch or use?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aunt Jemima corn meal, pitch or use?

Post by Greenthorn »

Just inherited 70 lbs of expired corn meal. Can I use it for a sugar wash / or a mash or pitch it?
3 months expired, but has been in a freezer since purchase, got from a church that was throwing it out. Help tell me what to do with it. Don't know if it could be a mash material or a sugar wash material?
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Aunt Jemima corn meal, pitch or use?

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Greenthorn wrote:Just inherited 70 lbs of expired corn meal. Can I use it for a sugar wash / or a mash or pitch it?
3 months expired, but has been in a freezer since purchase, got from a church that was throwing it out. Help tell me what to do with it. Don't know if it could be a mash material or a sugar wash material?
You are way overthinking this. It's starch. It will probably be good until the cockroaches die.

Cook it. Mash it, sugar head it. Just do it. :thumbup:

Edit* And send me a bottle :lolno:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
Greenthorn wrote:Just inherited 70 lbs of expired corn meal. Can I use it for a sugar wash / or a mash or pitch it?
You are way overthinking this. It's starch. It will probably be good until the cockroaches die.

Cook it. Mash it, sugar head it. Just do it. :thumbup:

Edit* And send me a bottle :lolno:

Well... the search I did said corn meal wasn't worth a shit for mashing, since it has been degermed, but I didn't know, hence the question. I would rather make a mash than a sugar head with it, just didn't know? I am kinda greenhorn at this.... :lol:
Who said this was easy?
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Cook it. SebStar HTL (high temp alpha amalyse)at 180°F cool to 145°F then Seb-Amyl. Pitch bread yeast at 90°F. Distill when done fermenting. Drink distillate proofed to 40% abv.
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

Yep, I have pintoshines enzymes, just when I was looking it up, research said the degermed corn meal was not as good? Know what...since it was free, I think I will do both. A wash and a mash and just experiment? Better than tossing it in the trash I guess?
Who said this was easy?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Well, I don't know where you got that information, but all my corn is 100% degerminated corn meal. I get it at restaurant depot for 50lbs for $15. That cooked with 27 lbs malt in 39 gallons of water gives me 1.065 everytime. If that don't work for you, then no problem. Throw it out. :wave: Otherwise, cook it. It's good. Perfect grind, and 100% starch.

Lucky you. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

Use half a pound (or more to hedge) wheat/barley malt for every ten pounds corn meal and go through the all grain mash recipe on HD. You'll be fine. If the corn meal is 'expired' it still has actual safety margin on age use anyway.

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I've used Aunt Jemima corn meal without issue. It's cheap and readily available.

In fact, I recently used it on a batch of Honey Bear Bourbon, which was fantastic, and is aging in the basement now.

"Expired" is a sales term. If stored in reasonable conditions and kept dry, it'll be good a long time.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

If it isn't moldy, use it. I shutter to think how much "EXPIRED" food gets tossed.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005