Arak

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

papijohn
Novice

Arak

Post by papijohn »

Guys I would like your opinion on a plan I have for making arak... I intend to continue tofermet and distill simple sugar washes until I get enough to get 5 gallons of alcohol. then im going to take the 5 gallons and add 10 cans of welsh grape concentrae and fermet, when its finish I will mix it with ansiseed and distill. Im hoping this will get me close to the tastes of arak.... what do you guys think? :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Arak

Post by still_stirrin »

papijohn wrote:...what do you guys think?
I think you haven't done your homework. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=31248 and http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=66719

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Ditto still_stirrin...your putting the cart before the horse. Your not going to distill sugar wash, collect 5 Gallons of spirit. add more juice to it and restart a fermentation. The alcohol from your sugar wash IS the base for your Arak distillation. PLEASE go back and read, read and read some more. Not telling you off or anything...please do it !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

papijohn wrote: then im going to take the 5 gallons and add 10 cans of welsh grape concentrae and fermet,
It wont ferment because the alcohol content will already be to high and your yeast will die.
You really will need to have a look around the forum a bit and start with simple things before jumping to far in.
Good luck with your future efforts. :thumbup:
papijohn
Novice

Post by papijohn »

ahh so what your all saying is I have to do wash with the grape by itself and then combine it when I distill with the aniseed.... didn't think about the high alcohol levels killing the yeast, thought it was only too much sugar that would do that or temperature...
papijohn
Novice

Post by papijohn »

still_stirrin wrote:
papijohn wrote:...what do you guys think?
I think you haven't done your homework. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=31248 and http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=66719

ss
still_stirrin lol I saw this before but im not looking to wait 6 months lol was looking to find a way to do it quicker but with close to the same taste lol.. for the wine part i was hoping to make a grape concentrate wine and use the alcohol in place of the water.. didnt realise the alcohol would result in the yeast dieing like to much sugar or to hot for temp. so back to distilling many times lol..
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

papijohn wrote: ...was looking to find a way to do it quicker but with close to the same taste lol..
You and every other marketing distributor in the world.

There is no magic wand. Authenticity is only impersonated, rarely if ever, duplicated.

Do it right my man, or chase disappointment.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

C'mon guys. We are all searching for easier ways to do thing - and they are not necessarily wrong (UJSSM, simple gin, etc....). Still_stirrin's reference is admittedly for authentic Arak but papijohn is free to try something far less cumbersome. And other than a handful of us, who on this board would know Arak from Aran? If Papijohn thinks his experiments are good enough to satisfy his taste why do we care. Primum utile erit!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

papijohn wrote:...what do you guys think?...
Hey all...he asked...to which, I answered. If he doesn't like the answer...too bad. At least he got an answer.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

still_stirrin wrote: At least he got an answer.
You call that an answer?
It comes across as more like an unhelpful and negative response from someone who seems to enjoy being condescending toward newbies.