boiler insulation

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

boiler insulation

Post by HDNB »

I have my boiler covered in insulation. last run i took the reflectix blanket off the top. I have been looking at whiskey helmets and one of the ideas behind them being passive reflux. (plus they're cool) i figgered the top of my boiler has some sq.inches so maybe it would work in a similar vein.
the results on one run were positive, a reduction in smearing oils/lipids to me it was significant and delivered a really nice product, better than many of my last runs.
of course many other variables so i'm curious if others might help experiment and see what they get.

if this should go in boilers or r&d let me know, i'll move it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: boiler insulation

Post by der wo »

Here I did a little experiment. Insulatd vs uninsulated lid, birdwatchers stripping run:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7387276
Here the results:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7387935
Conclusion:
The fores are spread over the whole insulated run. Uninsulated the fores are massive in the first 30ml and easy detectable in the first 1/3, but not in the last 2/3 distillate.
Conclusion:
If you want to cut foreshots, do it slow and uninsulated. Even with this small riser I got huge differences at the fores concentration.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

thanks der!

missed that post.

ive been geeting oils in fores, heads, a short break in some hearts and then an early onset in tails. with insulation. without? much nicer!

anyone else?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

HDNB wrote:thanks der!

missed that post.

ive been geeting oils in fores, heads, a short break in some hearts and then an early onset in tails. with insulation. without? much nicer!

anyone else?
FWIW, I strip on the grain with the clear beer in the boiler and the grain slops in the thumper. Both insulated. But then when I do a spirit run (x2) I don't insulate the boiler. I've tried it both ways, but for me it seems to give me a cleaner product. YMMV.

I couldn't say if it is passive reflux or what, it is what works for me after some experimenting. Again YMMV.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I did two stripping runs recently. Not minding taste, but just interested in alcohol.
Just a boiler, a bend, a thermometer and a condenser.
Bloot-Mantel.jpg
Both times a 10-ltr boiler, filled with 4 litres wine.
Bloot: boiler without any insulation.
Mantel: boiler with an insulated can around it.
X-axis is time in minutes, y-axis %ABV of the collected product, MJ the total energy including heating up, ml and vol-% is the resulting volume and %ABV of the product. Note: decimal comma and thousands-dot

I concluded that leaving away the insulation resulted in a bit more reflux in the top-6 litres of the boiler and thus a bit more concentration. Taking more energy and time.
Just like every step in the separation of water and alcohol takes energy and time.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

What is YMMV?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:What is YMMV?
Thank you for asking that - I've not had the "bottle" :lol:
RedwoodHillBilly

Pikey wrote:
Kareltje wrote:What is YMMV?
Thank you for asking that - I've not had the "bottle" :lol:
Have a bottle. YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary"
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Would never have guessed that.

Strange expression, can not imagine how it came to life.
I do not have a car, but the meaning is clear.
Thanks.

@Pikey: It took it for granted a long time, but as it is used often, I decided to ask it. Have to know everything.
But now: from where comes your "bottle". I know what you mean, but wonder about the origin. A bottle of whisky?
RedwoodHillBilly

Kareltje wrote:Would never have guessed that.
Thanks.
That was standard disclaimer in American automobile advertising in the 80's. The term has become a standard on the web.

But on the other hand, we don't have "coffee shops" (with with various types of THC) here. Yet.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:Would never have guessed that.

Thanks.

@Pikey: It took it for granted a long time, but as it is used often, I decided to ask it. Have to know everything.
But now: from where comes your "bottle". I know what you mean, but wonder about the origin. A bottle of whisky?
I would never have guessed that in a million years :lol:
@Kareltje - I don't know - we have an expression "Dutch Courage" - which means courage derived from alcohol consumption, so I suppose it could be derived from that, or from similar sources :lol:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Thanks for the explanation, that is the fun of different cultures.

People are afraid to ask because they do not want to look stupid. I know I am not stupid, only sometimes lacking in knowledge and there is no shame in that.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Never had my kettle insulated, but will have it 'jet-hotted' in rustic copper when finished ..
But as far as column, or riser insulation, yes I have tried and retried it only to end up taking it off ..Creates more overall heat, requiring more cooling volume.
The ambient temp will actually give some free reflux.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

MoonBreath wrote:Never had my kettle insulated, but will have it 'jet-hotted' in rustic copper when finished ..
But as far as column, or riser insulation, yes I have tried and retried it only to end up taking it off ..Creates more overall heat, requiring more cooling volume.
The ambient temp will actually give some free reflux.
Indeed. Insulating the boiler may prevent heat loss and insure heating the contents of the boiler. But insulating the riser or column may prevent reflux and enhance the need of cooling by a condenser.