I was wrong

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
retired

Re: I was wrong

Post by thecroweater »

Look let's get one thing straight right now, out of a pot singlings are singlings and it don't matter a damn how slow It don't matter in ya heating it with a half empty cigarette lighter, in fact I've found with a pot still there is a tipping point where running to slow smears worst and comes off at a lower proof. The other point is singling hearts, they are the hearts or best of singlings (best of a bad thing). Just because they are better than even worse fractions doesn't mean they are not singlings, once again talking pot stills here and not entertaining the ability of other stills. Singling are what the industry calls low wines and are not really fit to drink unless you are into migraines and shitting through a tea strainer at 20 paces. If this was under any circumstances ever possible there would be no doublers, no thump boxes no trays and ever man and his dog would be onto to it like flies to horse shit but it ain't , not ever so hence the contraptions and double and even triple runs.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I Have a thumper in which I run 99% of the time, I did my stripping runs with it. My ferments are just more than my boiler can handle so there are about 5 gallons for the thumper that I take heads to add with the wash, my tails go back into my boiler.

When I've done rum one and done I can and have many times made my cuts on the fly just because I know my still, wash and have ran it enough to do so and it's a fine drink. I ran faster than a spirit but slower than a strip and there was that fine line of heat that I know what's happening to allow me to do it.
Just my hearts yesterday totaled more than my single runs including fores, heads, hearts and tails with the same amount of wash. I'M PLEASED!!!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you had told us that at the start, I'm sure it would have been a different thread. Most of my comments are irrelevant if you are using a thumper.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

My apologies Chris, I didn't know that a thumper was relevant to me doing a stripping run.
My point of this thread is solely about stripping and spirit runs and the final results.
The thumper was used because I had more than 12.5 gallons for my primary boiler and found no reason to leave 4-5 gallons in the fermenter.
When my 30 gal fermenter is of use I will do a full charge on both to strip and single pot no thumper on the spirit run.
Sorry on any confusion, I was excited about this run and the results it produced and having never done it before I thought I'd share my experience. My lack of information in the beginning confused some and for that I apologize.

Shine0n