Filtering wash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Town
Swill Maker

Filtering wash

Post by Old Town »

Doing a stripping run today. Filtered my wash through cheese cloth before adding it to the boiler.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Old Town
Swill Maker

Re: Filtering wash

Post by Old Town »

Been running for six hours and finished with two gallons for a spirit run. I'm going to make another wash and strip it for a full charge.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Been going at it for 11 hours today myself.
What recipe you got cooking?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Just a simple sugar wash with tomato paste as nutrients
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

That's what I thought. And that's certainly what it looks like.

It hit 104° here so there was nothing outside I wanted to do. Stilled inside all day.
Coincidentally I'm doing the tomato paste, too.
Was getting 93% ABV out of my CM reflux still.
Given it's a neutral, what flavor is there sure is appealing (diluted down of course).
Making Strawberry Panty Dropper with some of it
and sipping or drink mixing the rest.

Good luck on your spirit run. You'll be happy with the recipe, I'm sure.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

It was hot as hell here today also!! I was out in the barn running the still. Went through five twenty pound bags of ice running through the condincer. I have a submergible pump that I put in a cooler of ice water that circulates through my condincer.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I think if I do one more 12 gallon wash I should have enough to do a good spirit run.. Can't wait to see how it goes!!
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I started out with 60% and ran it down to 30% and got two gallons overall. I didn't think that was too bad.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

At least for a pot still anyhow..
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

yeah I get right around 60% in pot still mode.
Suggestion: When you're all done, air your finished product out.
I rubber band a paper towel (or coffee filter) over my product jars and let 'em sit for 3 days.
Three seems to temper out this recipe quite nice in my experience.
Enjoy!
Last edited by Still Life on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Old Town wrote:I started out with 60% and ran it down to 30% and got two gallons overall. I didn't think that was too bad.
30% where? It makes a difference. 30% at the spout means you have left good alcohol in the boiler, 30% in the total collection means you have brought over some tomato flavor. I shut my BW strips down at 40% in the collection vessel, which seems to be about right for my pot still.

When my BW ferments are finished, everything drops to the bottom of the fermenter leaving the surface clear. Yours looks to still have floaters, or is that pic after you filtered it?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I stopped at 30% at the spout. That was a pick after filtering,all the crap was sitting on the cheesecloth. So if stoping at 30% at the spout was to soon how far should I of taken it?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I don't have a proofing parrot for my still yet. I just take my readings one jar at a time. I fill a pint then dump it into my graduated cylinder, and take my readings from there.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Old Town wrote:I don't have a proofing parrot for my still yet. I just take my readings one jar at a time. I fill a pint then dump it into my graduated cylinder, and take my readings from there.
Rather than collecting a whole pint to measure, collect just enough to fill your test jar. Then measure that. It'll give a more accurate "point in time" measurement. You can average jars a pint at a time. But if you're trying to measure the spout proof, you need to reduce the averaging volumes.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I'll give that a try next time thanks. So how far down on the ABV scale should I run it too on a stripping run?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've been going to build a parrot for thirty years and I've had the materials for years, but I've never needed one, so haven't built one.
My stripping run yesterday had the alcometer floating in the collection jar, which is large enough to take a whole stripping run, I didn't check the abv at the spout once and seldom do. Before I got the large jar, I would bail the collection jug into an SS preserving pan and measure the abv of that, the reason is that what is important for the spirit run is the abv of the low wines you charge it with. I've already told you what low wines abv I aim for when doing Birdwatcher's, and why. For every product I make, I decide on the abv of the low wines before I start the strip, lower for more flavor, higher for less, then run to that without worrying about the abv at the spout.

When you are new at the game, the abv at the spout during a stripping run is interesting and maybe you should record it for future reference, but I think it is a mistake to make decisions based on it.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Ok I got you..You use one large collection jar and shut it down when you have an overall of 40%. That's what you do for you're BW anyhow. Sorry I guess I over read that.