Technical issues

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

QuebecDistiller
Novice

Technical issues

Post by QuebecDistiller »

Hi,

Sorry, I posted this in another topic section, which was not appropriate. I hope this topic is more appropriate!

I had issues with my cooling equipment through my very first 2nd run (I collected about 2/3 of my hearts, pretty much everything at 85% ABV) and I had to stop. I let everything cool down a bit so I could transfer the remaining liquid (about 16L) in a 20L beer keg (the only container large enough I had). I am currently letting it cool down to ambiant temperature before closing it.

1) Any safety concerns I should be aware?

2) What can I do to minimize losses through evaporation (I might not be able to distill again for some time)?

3) Can I just start over next time and resume collecting the remaining of the hearts?

Thank you all very much!
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Technical issues

Post by HDNB »

1. the cooling seems sensible. i don't know what other concerns you may have.

2. a sealed container will reduce evaporation

3. yes you can start again but it will likely be mostly tails, worth collecting to add to your next run of the same recipe. not likely going to be clean enough to drink. If you leave it a long time, it may mold too, but the mold will float so just remove it before distilling more.

i moved this to novice, assuming there is a bit of french/anglo language barrier...i get the connection of "what not to do" but thought this was more appropriate place.
Novice is a good place for most generic questions, you may want to look at cooling and condensers in the build and construction topics to help you repair your problem.
if you see a similar thread in one of those areas, just ask questions right on that thread.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
QuebecDistiller
Novice

Re: Technical issues

Post by QuebecDistiller »

Thank you very much!

I indeed had some difficulty to pinpoint the right topic section. Thanks fo the advice.