Update on the white peaches

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Update on the white peaches

Post by Shine0n »

You'll be glad you did it this way
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Got my 30 gallon plastic drum with locking ring in today. I'm going to drill a 1/2" hole in the lid and run a hose to a pop bottle with water for my airlock. I'll probably spend most of the day Saturday washing and destoning peaches. I can almost taste it!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Put ya a board across barrel with a 3/4 in piece of pvc attached push peach seed right out use morter mixer to blend and pour through a wire trash basket to catch skin and seeds toss seeds put skin in sack and ferment with wash or save back and add to thumper for helpin with flavor
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tater wrote:Put ya a board across barrel with a 3/4 in piece of pvc attached push peach seed right out use morter mixer to blend and pour through a wire trash basket to catch skin and seeds toss seeds put skin in sack and ferment with wash or save back and add to thumper for helpin with flavor
Now you been tole . Ya be a daisy if ya don't take the advice .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm surprised Bavis hasn't chimed in as he not long ago did 3 or 4 55gal drums full, the lucky fella ran peach for quite some time.

It's alot of work and well worth the rewards.

Enjoy,
Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Thanks tater that'll save me some time.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you don't have a thumper and want the flavor from the pressings, you can make a 'grappa' out of the leftovers. This is how I do it;

Once the ferment is down, record the level in the fermenter, the SG, and calculate and record the amount of sugar in the wash.

Keep all of the foreshots, heads, tails and backset.

Using the backset and pressings, make up a wash by adding sugar and water to get back to the original SG. You don't have to fill the fermenter to the original volume, but don't go over it. The less water and sugar you use, the more intense the flavor will be.
I dump the hot backset onto the amount of sugar I have decided to use and am careful not to kill the yeast when adding it back to the pressings. Aerate well. Adjust the pH if necessary.

To distill, add the foreshots, heads and tails from the brandy runs to the stripping runs. Double distill, stripping until the low wines are below 30%
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Got this today at Menards for 10 bucks thought it might be helpful mashing up some peaches. NZChris, Tater, ShineOn, goose eye, Still Life, thank all you guys once again for all the info and support. I really have enjoyed checking this thread every day and getting feedback every day. I would be lost without all your help so thanks!!
Attachments
Mud masher
Mud masher
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

NZChris do I just use the Sugar wash calculator on the home page to get the grappa too the OG reading?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I hope you plan to mash them in a 5 gal bucket, not saying you can't do it but it's going to work you out if you fill a big ole drum and start mashing them.

I learned that the hard way, the sad thing is I had a mortar mixer and a power drill but 1+1=3 that day :crazy:

You'll be fine, just a bit of hard work, that's all.
I'm not old but sure as hell ain't no spring chicken either.

I might go and find one of those for my grapes :thumbup:

Shine0n
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Old Town wrote:NZChris do I just use the Sugar wash calculator on the home page to get the grappa too the OG reading?
I've never seen it. I use a calculator if I can't do it in my head.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I spent the last hour grinding and sanding this down. I think I'm ready to rock in roll tomorrow. Just don't have a nylon sack for my skins..
Attachments
image.jpeg
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

checkout walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Me ... g/16206971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

that's more like it! now with a decent corded drill you'll be in business.
I'm going to try the peach pd again soon as I can get some time to make a sugar wash, hell I guess I can do it tomorrow since I'm off. lol

Hell, I may as well make my rum ferment while I'm doing the sugar!
And a HBB!
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

wal-mart imagine that.. Thanks Tater. I'm going to tear through some peaches tomorrow and do a spirit run. I have about five gallons of 120 proof stripping runs i need to dilute and run. It's going to be a busy weekend.. Multitasking love it!!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That toy looks like nothing but trouble. Jump in the can and tread them.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

F**# finally got all the peaches blinded up and in the fermenter. They were still a little froze so it took some extra work!! Going to pitch the yeast tomorrow after they warm up. There thick as mud tho don't know if I should add some water to thin it down a bit??
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

NZChris wrote:If you don't have a thumper and want the flavor from the pressings, you can make a 'grappa' out of the leftovers. This is how I do it;

Once the ferment is down, record the level in the fermenter, the SG, and calculate and record the amount of sugar in the wash.

Keep all of the foreshots, heads, tails and backset.

Using the backset and pressings, make up a wash by adding sugar and water to get back to the original SG. You don't have to fill the fermenter to the original volume, but don't go over it. The less water and sugar you use, the more intense the flavor will be.
I dump the hot backset onto the amount of sugar I have decided to use and am careful not to kill the yeast when adding it back to the press ings. Aerate well. Adjust the pH if necessary.

To distill, add the foreshots, heads and tails from the brandy runs to the stripping runs. Double distill, stripping until the low wines are below 30%
So NZChris I'm just trying to make sure I understand this right. I use the already fermented pressings i have left over to make a second ferment with. Careful not to kill the yeast with the hot backset.
Probably a dumb question considering that's how a grappa is made with grapes but just want to be sure. I guess you don't really referment the grapes with a grappa you just put the straight in the boiler but you know what I'm getting at..
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

My blinded peaches have been sitting in the fermenter for a day and a half and are still to cold to pitch the yeast. Will they be ok to sit another day to warm up before I pitch my yeast? They were still half frozen when I hit them with the mortar mixer.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Old Town wrote:My blinded peaches have been sitting in the fermenter for a day and a half and are still to cold to pitch the yeast. Will they be ok to sit another day to warm up before I pitch my yeast? They were still half frozen when I hit them with the mortar mixer.
I wouldn't know. I just do whatever I have to do to make whatever needs to happen, happen. Getting the fruit up to party time temperatures for the yeast is one of the reasons why I got into the barrel and trod them.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I would add some yeast anyway,When temp does get up it will start .I had a wash start on wild yeast once letting it warm .
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Ok I pitched my yeast today.. I took a SG reading before pitching my yeast it was 1.040 that seems a little low? I'll let you guys know if and when I get any activity in my air lock.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

On another note I did my first every double distillation. Until now I've only been doing one and done. Now I know better I was very happy with my results. I combined two stripping runs and diluted it down to 35% and got 9 Qt's after my cuts. I had around 7 gallons of low wines when I started my spirit run.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Checked my fermenter this morning and we have lift off the air lock is boubleing away. How often do I need to fold the head over??
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Different views on that . myself just enough to keep top from drying out. I stir back in gently
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I push the cap down once a day for at least three days. As long as the fermenter isn't over filled, the CO2 should protect it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That sg will get you around 5.85% potential if it ferments dry to .995

I think you'll be pleased with the outcome, remember to collect in small jars, not quarts!!!

+1 on what they said about punching the cap down, expecially since you have it under airlock the co2 will help protect it.

Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Before pushing the cap down and after pushing the cap down pic's. Sorry the pic's are in reverse order..
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

It looks like dog shit but smells good!!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Old Town wrote:It looks like dog shit but smells good!!
Close you eyes while pushing down and breathe deep :crazy:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .