Update on the white peaches

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Town
Swill Maker

Re: Update on the white peaches

Post by Old Town »

Tater wrote:Run it again. Ad couple gallons water or peach juice .Run low and slow with careful cuts add head /tails back in
When you say peach juice, are you talking store bought or do I need too start squeezing some peaches?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

How many more ya got . use them if enough . Have bunch more make another 10 gallon wash ferment add last and rerun that.I got 2gallons of some fine peach brandy once outta 55 gallon wash .Was low abv to start with . stripped 48 gallons .Mixed that with what wash was left and ran twice more .Had a shit load time and very little likker . But damn it was good. :thumbup: :thumbup: Remember 3 gallons 100 proof drinking likker from 55 gallons wash is a good return on peaches.Also I still catch tails in jars like rest wash till i quit catchin . some times there is little to no proof but good peach flavor.If there try taking lil it and some hearts mix few spoons together to see if flavor holds. If does and ya temper use it
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I think that I may have just enough to do a 10 gallon wash. I guess I'll get back too work and get another ferment going. This time I'll make sure to run it low and slow.. The old lady will love this she told me she never wanted to see another peach ever again lol..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Get fermenting.

There are folks around here that reckon they have success doing fruit with single slow runs, but I'm not one of them. The oldest liquor in my distillery is a sample of a slow single slivovitz I did for a friend under his instructions and against my advice. It will probably never get drunk because it is so bad, but he reckoned he liked it, so I suppose that's all that really mattered. Paulinka pretty much describes my methods in a link posted on the first page, so all of my strips look like what you have in your jar and that is what I aim for.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I got the pressings from my first run that I mixed with some backset can I use this to start my new ferment with? Or should I start fresh?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I can tell it's still alive add well I have had it under a lid with air lock for the last two weeks..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Probably. Never done it myself. I sometimes use that to put down a sugar wash while I'm stripping. The only problem you might have is from the amount of O2 in the fermenter letting the vinegar bugs run riot. If you are going to save pressings for a while, cover them in water and chuck a handful of sugar in so that the yeast can make CO2 to displace the O2.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I think I'm just going to take the advice of my buddy ShineOn and mix up twenty five pounds of sugar and 15 gallons of water in this and let it rip... Basically the same thing NZChris said make a sugar wash out of it. In the meanwhile I got 10 gallons of a peach wash fermenting. I'm going to strip it down when it's ready and add what I have from my last peach run. I got three cases of half pint jars today for all my cuts. I'm hoping by this time next year I'll be sipping some damn good peach brandy!!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I just had a pour with an old friend at the oyster roast tonight and man o man that's some fine stuff.

Take your time, keep reading and things will pick up :thumbup:

Enjoy
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Old Town wrote:I think I'm just going to take the advice of my buddy ShineOn and mix up twenty five pounds of sugar and 15 gallons of water in this and let it rip... Basically the same thing NZChris said make a sugar wash out of it. In the meanwhile I got 10 gallons of a peach wash fermenting. I'm going to strip it down when it's ready and add what I have from my last peach run. I got three cases of half pint jars today for all my cuts. I'm hoping by this time next year I'll be sipping some damn good peach brandy!!
Ever get a proof of what ya ran ? I would put that in my 10 wash and run that way.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Sure did its floating right around 110 proof. I'm going too take your advice Tater and toss it in with my stripping run of my 10 gallon wash I got going. I'm going too go ahead and make some tight cuts in this run and see what I end up with. If I don't like the results I'm going to run it again. I don't care if I only end up with a half a gallon after it's said and done. I just want to experience the pure good tasting brandy you all have been talking about.. It may be this time next year before it's ready to drink but it will be worth it..
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

May not need but 1 run when 10 gallon wash finishes.Be interesting to know what proof wash is when done.If your heating with propane be sure to have several pieces of something to break boil . I use pieces copper tubing cut 1 in or so long.In my 15 ssk I used 25 or so.Also you be able to tell by rattle how hard ya runnin it.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

That must of been my biggest mistake on my first run I had nothing in my boiler too break the boil. I did redad recently about using roffing brick tile. And now you mention the copper tubing.. These are the littl details that I have been lacking due to my ignorance.. I'm also going to melt down some pure butter in the still to help calm it down a bit. I checked my column out today and I definitely had some puking on my last run.. That explains the cloudy spirit I got from my first run. I'm going to be sure I get my still cleaned up good before my next run..
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I would go with the cut tubing not tile personally, Butter will help also but I don't believe you need both. JMO

A nice slow spirit run will do this justice and even with so little wash I'd heat up slowly and not take the chance of puking again.

Small jars are the way to go for collecting any run expecially fruit.

The more you run a particular wash/mash you can fly a bit faster because you should know the outcome after repetition of running it, but as your new to this you should go slow, take small collections, air properly, make good cuts as best you can, and blend bit by bit to not over do any not so good parts. It will come together soon!

Shine0n
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I mixed up a sugar wash with my leftover pressings I had from my first run. I brought 5 gallons of water to almost a boil and cook 32lbs of sugar down. I cooled that down with another 10 gallons of water and pored it into the fermenter with the pressings. I pitched a little more yeast and to my amaze it was bubbling away in about an hour. Don't know if I'll get any good peach flavor out of this but if anything I'll have a nice nutral to strip down. Still haven't reran my brandy yet but I haven't given up on it.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

yep grappa washes go like blazes, lots of sugar, lots of nuets, plenty of liquid make for happy yeast. Read you saw pulp in ya jars, 100% chance it puked, if ya don't have copper bits marbles will break the boil just fine to. Ya re-running after a spirit run I'd be more inclined to run at stripping speed or add all ya feints back in and re-cut after. Be a damn shame to loose any flavour.
Oh and you are going to have a joyful time straining that grappa, worth it but oh man.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Oh I forgot to mention that I also put two gallons of backset from my first run in there. Don't have any extra copper laying around but I do have some marbles thanks.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Check the pH or just go ahead and put some oyster shells in there to help buffer the drop.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Everyone keeps talking about these oyster shells where do you guys get them?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The beach!!! LOL
Tractor supply will have them where the chicken shit is, mine has 5 and 25 lbs for cheap
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Didn't get time to stop and get any oyster shells yet but it's still bubbling away. I'm going to stop a tractor supply tomorrow and get the shells. Will it be ok to add them at this point or should I just let it ride? I only have a digital ph meater so kind of hard to check the ph with this kind of wash.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If the pH is ok you don't need to do anything. I use whole shells and reckon grit is a poor substitute for buffering purposes.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've not had any problems with the grit, maybe my mashes ph didn't need any as I have hard water.

He's in the middle of the US and unless he goes to the seafood buffet and asks for shells he probably won't find any near a lake.

I use them as insurance not just guessing if I need them or not. if they are in there they will help
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

was just trying to work ya likely pH out ( jeez I hate imperial measurements) but I don't know the volume of your pressings. But even without ya fruit you have around 19 gal. I'm thinking ya 2 gal of stillage ain't nothing and you will do just fine and dandy without bullshitting around with the pH :thumbup: .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Any shells will do. Shells don't have to fresh or pretty or from the sea, I thought you lot had fresh water mussels?

I've used souvenirs relatives have brought back from holidays in the Pacific, big shells that won't over correct in a hurry and survive for many ferments.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

I didn't add any shells to my ferment and it finished out nice and dry today. Going to let it clear the rest of the week and run it on Friday. Even with all the sugar it has a nice peach smell and taste to it. Hopefully I'll get some of the good peach flavor when I run it.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Been awhile since I posted but i did get my peace wash with the sugar head finished. I did two stripping runs and ended up with around two and a half gallons of 100 proof. I've had that sitting for a few weeks now. I plan on diluting it Dow two low wine strength. Should I use peace juice to dilute or distilled water?? I don't want too loose all my peace flavor if there even is any after the stripping runs.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Ok doing a spirit run today finally. I combined the pure brandy and the sugar head brandy I had from both stripping runs. I started with 8 gallons of low wines. Once I got past the heads too about my 6th pint I started to get a nice sweet flavor. At that point it was sitting at 168 proof. It held strong at 168 to 165 for about five more pints. I'm on my 19th pint now and sitting at 140 and still going...