It's good?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Noritaka100
Novice

It's good?

Post by Noritaka100 »

Hi all, i've seen this o aliexpress http://s.aliexpress.com/2mYJZJ73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow.
I'm novice and i'm not still able to understand if it's a good buy or not...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: It's good?

Post by Pikey »

$111.69 for a 50L still all inclusive ? when you can have an AIrstill 4Litre pot still for around 1.5 times that price ?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> if it's a good buy or not...

No. Save your money, set aside a bit more, and either fabricate your own or buy something of better quality and (especially) better capability. "Buy once, cry once."

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
miket
Novice

Post by miket »

$137 plus $178 shipping.

Shipping cost more then the still.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

They claim no plastic, but don't say how the lid is sealed. They tell you there is no copper like that is a good thing, when it is actually bad.
Noritaka100
Novice

Post by Noritaka100 »

Ups! Don't seen the ship cost... It's crazy!!!
http://m.ebay.it/itm/10L-30L-Alcohol-Mo ... 1100423610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This one is also a worst buy?

Where i can buy a distiller or material to make it?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> This one is also a worst buy?

If you don't know whether that one is good or not perhaps you should do a bit more research (as well as define what you plan to make). There are sub-forums on this site ...

Pot Distillation/Thumper and Design: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
Column Builds: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
The Construction Site: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=50

... where you should study the different still designs and how their physical properties influence the product they create. Once you're comfortable with what you need, and why, then you'll be better prepared to make the buy/build decision.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

honestly build your own get a stainless steel keg from a bar,get some copper 2" or 3" and get enough to fabricate a condenser and a liebig condenser and your away.
ive got mine running a steam water run as i type first proper run(ish) 1st was a leak test this is a secondary leak test after finding 2 small gaps in my solder.you dont need to be an amazing tools person im totally shyte to be honest but ive managed to fabricate up something thats now able to run water,im going to do my vinegar run later and possibly a sacrificail run after ive asked a few questions on a seperate thread so as not to hijak yours :lol: you will feel like a kid at xmas when you have built your own and i guess when you taste that first drop it will taste like magical unicorns piss.buy one or build one its down to how muh you want to put into it for yourself do you want your own creation or just want to distill something?good luck either way
miket
Novice

Post by miket »

I went with a cheap still off Ebay and its pretty nice. pumps out 168 proof from mash so im happy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Distille ... 2385221842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Im going to build a bigger one from a 15.5 gallon beer keg as time goes by.
Noritaka100
Novice

Post by Noritaka100 »

That's sounds good... Think i'll study a little more and i'll buy it. Thanks
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Be sure to swap out the silicone seals with something decent like PTFE. Otherwise you might grow boobs or something. Or if you already have boobs, they might fall off. Who knows?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Noritaka100
Novice

Post by Noritaka100 »

Ahahah... I like boobs but on girls not on me! :) U also think that product is quite good?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You gotta be careful that you're not taking advice from people with not much more experience than yourself. I suggest you keep your wallet closed until you know enough about still safety and material safety to be able to make an informed choice after learning everything you can about a still on offer.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

not sure about Italy on the ease of finding a keg but if you can, it would be the easiest way I think.

my Keg came from the scrap yard for 15$ US
2" copper pipe 30$
2-2" 90° elbows 30$
50'- 5/8" ID soft copper tube 45$

total 120$ US (under 200 including solder, flux, map gas bottle)
possibly more depending on size of pipe, ferrules, triclamps, unions and or condenser type.

A simple potstill and works very well, I've added another keg for a thumper and a few mods over the last couple years but buying something you more than likely will replace would be a bit foolish, expecially if it's not that good of a product to begin with.

Take a little more time and research what you want to make, a little more to learn what kind of still will get you that type of product and a little more from some experienced members who have done them and can offer you advice based on experience.

Shine0n