testing proof after adding sugar, water and flavoring???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

testing proof after adding sugar, water and flavoring???

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I am not sure if there is a way to test proof of "finished" fire piss. (500ml of sugar & water 300ml cinnamon infused 93%)
I know that adding sugar to water will change Specific Gravity of the liquid.
I have been using math to "guesstimate" the finished proof.
300ml of 93% abv plus 500ml water&sugar = 800ml of finished firepiss
therefore I have 3/8 of the total volume @ 93%abv
take 3 and divide by 8 (3/8) = .375
multiply 93 by .375 = 33.75
therefore 33.75% abv or 67.5 proof

but is there a way to test that this is true???

thanks in advance
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: testing proof after adding sugar, water and flavoring???

Post by Pikey »

I reckon 300ml @93% = 279 ml ethanol
now spread that over 800 ml so 279/800
=34.875% abv ?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

http://www.vinovation.com/Pearson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I know the math will give the answer at bottling.
but is there a way to "test".
with a testing devise of some sort. I know that a hydrometer/alcoholmeter will NOT work due to the sugar content.
like using a hydrometer to test potential, or an alcoholmeter... proof & tralle, or a refractometer Brix.

the reason I ask. Gave some Fire Piss to a buddy. he said "taste was great but no buzz, like it had no alcohol in it".
I want to see if I have had an excessive "angles share (or kids share)" loss since bottling.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:I know the math will give the answer at bottling.
with a testing devise of some sort. I know that a hydrometer/alcoholmeter will NOT work due to the sugar content.
like using a hydrometer to test potential, or an alcoholmeter... proof & tralle, or a refractometer Brix.

the reason I ask. Gave some Fire Piss to a buddy. he said "taste was great but no buzz, like it had no alcohol in it".
I want to see if I have had an excessive "angles share (or kids share)" loss since bottling.
Not as far as I know. I've seen something somewhere about a complex methiod of distillation, which is supposed to get there.

Bet I know what the "Problem" is - Heads cut - Put the heads back in and try again 8)
Edit:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

If you were to make a "Mini-still" distill a measured amount of your finished brew, right up to BP = 100 or 101, (C) then you could measure the abv of your distillate and use teh above process to back calculate the original abv. Bit of a clat I know but best I can do :)
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Here is a link to the TTB on proofing spirits. https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/proofing.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They show 2 different methods to proof high dissolved solids spirits (like yours). One method is to distill the other is to evaporate. Considering that you aren't trying to meet TTB standards, I would just calculate it. By the way you had a simple arithmetic error. Pikey's math is correct.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

For personal curiosity there's a formula in this article that may get you close. But if you're proofing it for bottling that requires precision, I wouldn't use it.

https://tickledpalate.wordpress.com/201 ... r-liqueur/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah Pikey's thoughts remind me of a story Kentucky Shinner shared with the group a while back.

Most newbies get obsessed with very strict cuts. So,, true to form KS did too at the time, and shared some high proof with some friends. Well evidently his friends were so used to drinking bogg water that they claimed they "didn't get drunk enough" even though they were drinking higher proof spirits.

Very clean high proof can give a short "upper" kinda buzz. Like a light, high energy feeling rather than a heavy, down feeling. But then also dissipate rather quickly.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Pikey wrote:
Hoosier Shine9 wrote:I know the math will give the answer at bottling.

Not as far as I know. I've seen something somewhere about a complex methiod of distillation, which is supposed to get there.

Bet I know what the "Problem" is - Heads cut - Put the heads back in and try again 8)
Edit:
I am very skeptical about the theft. but want to try to eliminate any potential questions in my mind.

[quote LWTCS » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Yeah Pikey's thoughts remind me of a story Kentucky Shinner shared with the group a while back.

Most newbies get obsessed with very strict cuts. So,, true to form KS did too at the time, and shared some high proof with some friends. Well evidently his friends were so used to drinking bogg water that they claimed they "didn't get drunk enough" even though they were drinking higher proof spirits.

Very clean high proof can give a short "upper" kinda buzz. Like a light, high energy feeling rather than a heavy, down feeling. But then also dissipate rather quickly.][/quote]
I have a feeling this is the issue......
I have a feeling he is use to drinking "low dollar" . he did say "only a light buzz that disappeared real quick".
I guess I have a few options.......educate him, keep crappy cuts for him, or tell him to get the crappy stuff from the store..............lol
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:
Pikey wrote:
Hoosier Shine9 wrote:...Gave some Fire Piss to a buddy. he said "taste was great but no buzz, like it had no alcohol in it". I want to see if I have had an excessive "angel's share" (or kids share) loss since bottling.
...Bet I know what the "Problem" is - Heads cut - Put the heads back in and try again...
I am very skeptical about the theft. but want to try to eliminate any potential questions in my mind.
LWTCS wrote:Yeah Pikey's thoughts remind me of a story Kentucky Shinner shared with the group a while back.

Most newbies get obsessed with very strict cuts. So, true to form KS did too at the time, and shared some high proof with some friends. Well evidently his friends were so used to drinking bogg water that they claimed they "didn't get drunk enough" even though they were drinking higher proof spirits.

Very clean high proof can give a short "upper" kinda buzz. Like a light, high energy feeling rather than a heavy, down feeling. But then also dissipate rather quickly.]
I have a feeling this is the issue...I have a feeling he is use to drinking "low dollar". He did say, "only a light buzz that disappeared real quick".

I guess I have a few options...educate him, keep crappy cuts for him, or tell him to get the crappy stuff from the store.<-- THIS!! If he complains about "free booze"..let him pay at the store.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

SS
that was the option I was leaning towards.....lol
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Give him a sobriety test next time he drinks it. If iys just a clean buzz, he's a lot drunker than he realizes.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Have to say - I've started putting som heads an early tails back in my "Flavoured stuff" 8)
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Pikey wrote:Have to say - I've started putting som heads an early tails back in my "Flavoured stuff" 8)
Of course, otherwise it isn't "Flavoured stuff". My best Bourbon has a bit of late heads, middle tails and "sweetwater" in it.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

An update.......the same buddy asked me for some more of the "Fire Piss" this past Friday.
I told him go to the store, buy some ever-clear,& some cinnamon sticks, and come to see me. he didn't like that....... :lolno:
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Good advice for you're buddy lol nice to see a fellow Hoosier here.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Is it wise to piss off somebody who knows about your hobby?
He complained about your product earlier. I understand your feeling, but maybe an other trick would have been wiser?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kareltje wrote:Is it wise to piss off somebody who knows about your hobby?..He complained about your product earlier....
Best to cutoff the mooch early...especially if he's bitchin' about free booze. Let him "make" his own...if he's so critical.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

still_stirrin wrote:
Kareltje wrote:Is it wise to piss off somebody who knows about your hobby?..He complained about your product earlier....
Best to cutoff the mooch early...especially if he's bitchin' about free booze. Let him "make" his own...if he's so critical.
I'm with K - LOad a bottle with heads (no fores) and add some tails - leave the hearts out :)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If he's a good buddy just use a bit more high proof for the bottle and if he's just an acquaintance cut him off asap.