Frustrated- low% on final product

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Frustrated- low% on final product

Post by NZChris »

I hate to say this, but you might just have to knock it down to below 1100 and chuck a large bag of Turbo in it.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

NZChris-- to knock it down... dilute it? and then reheat it up? safe to do I guess once it's diluted, correct?
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Dilute and re-pitch your usual yeast first. Add nutrients too. You can raise the temperature by adding hot water for the dilution, try to get it ideal for the yeast. Meanwhile get a big healthy yeast bomb prepared and pitch it when it is going nuts. If that fails to restart it and you are desperate enough, you could try Turbo. Read the instructions on the bag. I'm not guaranteeing it will work. If you have a virus killing your yeast it might kill the Turbo yeast too. Sometimes you just have to kick the barrel over.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Its a few bux worth, tip the crap out and start again. What ever the cause it is simply not worth rooting around with, the saying throwing good money after bad comes to mind. Yeast bombs neuts buffers blenky turbo shit all for what? To get some sub par krud spending $15 to save $2 worth of sugar, nar nothing nuttso about that advise :moresarcasm:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Just a quick note. I saw somebody mention calibration of your hydrometer (proof and tralle). I can't get them locally, so always buy two (if you have only one, it is sure to break). Well, I noticed i was getting low readings once. Grabbed my spare. Read higher. Tried them both in a known (eek . . . hurts to say, but legal purchased alcohol). The new one read dead on. The other low. Why? Oh. . . . I looked closer. The gauge in them is basically a bit of paper that can come lose. Guess the one reading low was upside down and got jarred, shaking the paper higher up, which gave a false low reading. Tapped it down against my hand and it slid down a little at a time. Did this til it read true.

May not be your issue . . . but posting because at some point I am sure somebody else will have the same issue.