My reflux keg still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RefluxKegStill1338
Novice

My reflux keg still

Post by RefluxKegStill1338 »

Ok guys so today I drilled out the holes for a bolt on flange on my keg still. Cobalt bits work great for drilling stainless steel. I am going to put cork board as a gasket instead of the rubber gassket shown in photo. My cork board hasn't delivered yet. I have most of my column done. I'm using a 4500 watt element on 240 volts. Haven't built my PID controller yet but will in a couple weeks. Also I am using such a high element and voltage because of how well it works and to upgrade I will buy a half or fill size keg and convert over that way. So what y'all think?

Last edited by RefluxKegStill1338 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My reflux keg still

Post by Pikey »

To add pictures
We have a thread - but I can't find it - should be a sticky - but isn't :roll:

To prepare photo

Find and clic"Open with"
PAINT
[Edit - "Resize"}
click "Pixels"
tick "Maintain aspect ratio"
change largest pixel count to 800
"Save as ..."

To place on post
"Add Attatchments"
"Browse"
click the name you just made
"Upload"
click the place on the post you want it t appear
"Place in line"

"Submit"

To get rid of that crappy TApatalk ad

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=65167
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

RefluxKegStill1338 wrote:...cork board as a gasket instead of the rubber gasket...
Make sure your "cork board" is all natural cork, not the "glued together" small piece of cork similar to a push-pin bulletin board would use. The glues will disintegrate when in contact with the hot alcohol vapors, so you'll lose the seal effectiveness.
RefluxKegStill1338 wrote:...I'm using a 4500 watt element on 240 volts. Haven't built my PID controller yet but will in a couple weeks...So what y'all think?
Forget the PiD to control the heat element. You don't need temperature control for the heat input. If...you really plan to use a PiD, make sure it can be operated in manual mode where you can adjust the percent power, not set on a control temperature.

I suggest you do some reading on the forum to better understand why I say this...

Welcome to the site. Be safe. Be responsible. And be discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Agree with ss - No need for thermostat controller - Cheap chinese power controller - Absolutely essential ! :)
RefluxKegStill1338
Novice

I have musical grade cork board and the PID controller can be operated manual or automatically. can you show me a post telling me about why I shouldn't use a PID controller or what I should use to controller the element?
RefluxKegStill1338
Novice

With the cheap power controller I can't seem to find one cheap that can handle the 4500 w element. I found one cheap that will handle 3000w but nothing more online in my searches. I found I would be able to build a PID controller for about $75 or $80
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

RefluxKegStill1338,

Looking at that bolted on flange element adapter, I wonder how you fasten the bolts to the keg? Do you attempt to thread the thin stainless wall? Do you have a nut inside to tighten against? Is the nut "welded" in place? If you can weld to the keg, why not simply get a triclover ferrule and weld that to the keg. Then, get a triclover to 1" straight thread adapter and use that instead, if welding is indeed an option.

I see you have a triclover fitting for the column attachment. Good. Now, do the same for your element install. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and don't forget to ground the keg when you wire it up. Safety first!
ss
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

RefluxKegStill1338 wrote:I have musical grade cork board and the PID controller can be operated manual or automatically. can you show me a post telling me about why I shouldn't use a PID controller or what I should use to controller the element?
Look in the Related Electrical Accessories forum. Tons of discussions there. I don't need to "spoon feed" you.
ss
RefluxKegStill1338
Novice

Thank you.
RefluxKegStill1338
Novice

still_stirrin wrote:RefluxKegStill1338,

Looking at that bolted on flange element adapter, I wonder how you fasten the bolts to the keg? Do you attempt to thread the thin stainless wall? Do you have a nut inside to tighten against? Is the nut "welded" in place? If you can weld to the keg, why not simply get a triclover ferrule and weld that to the keg. Then, get a triclover to 1" straight thread adapter and use that instead, if welding is indeed an option.

I see you have a triclover fitting for the column attachment. Good. Now, do the same for your element install. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and don't forget to ground the keg when you wire it up. Safety first!
ss
I have a nut on the inside used a flex wrench to get in there and tighten it. Didn't weld because I don't know of anyone who can weld stainless steel or I would have went that route. all stainless steel nuts bolts and lock washer.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000W-High-P ... Sw~CFY7gJE

or similar ! :)

[Edit - How did you get your photies to appear so big ? ] :thumbup:
RefluxKegStill1338
Novice

Pikey wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000W-High-P ... Sw~CFY7gJE

or similar ! :

[Edit - How did you get your photies to appear so big ? ] :thumbup:
Thanks and I added to photo bucket and resized using photo bucket to as close to 1000 pixels as possible then hit the img button above the message dialogue. When posting the pohoto use the direct link after resizing

If you need more help let me know maybe I'll add a forum about how I added photos
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

RefluxKegStill1338 wrote:
Pikey wrote:...[Edit - How did you get your photies to appear so big ? ]
Thanks and I added to photo bucket and resized using photo bucket to as close to 1000 pixels as possible then hit the img button above the message dialogue. When posting the pohoto use the direct link after resizing. If you need more help let me know maybe I'll add a forum about how I added photos...
No-no-no...don't use a 3rd party host...they'll disappear and this thread will become useless. Resize to 800x800 pixels (maximum) and post on this site. That's how they'll sustain through time. That's how you're supposed to do it.
RefluxKegStill1338 wrote: Image
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

RefluxKegStill1338 wrote:
.......Thanks and I added to photo bucket and resized using photo bucket to as close to 1000 pixels as possible then hit the img button above the message dialogue. When posting the pohoto use the direct link after resizing
Interestin way of doing thing Matt :ewink:

We don't :)