Upscaling to larger still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tomgin
Novice

Upscaling to larger still

Post by Tomgin »

Hey there new to distilling, loving it!
I have a one litre still and a 50l pot still I want to make my recipes in the 50 now but how do I work out the increase in botanicals?
Please help!!!
Tomgin
Novice

Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Upscaling to larger still

Post by Still Life »

Maybe I'm missing your point.
Have you been making stuff in the 1 liter and should now just multiply that by 50?
Or by botanicals, are you making a gin?
(I'm not a gin maker, and don't know if botanicals are linear)
A little more info, please.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Still Life.

Botanicals are scalable only to a certain point.
The cuts will be hard to judge for a novice on a still that has only one liter.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I'd use the big 50 liter boiler to do the stipping runs. And then, after collecting enough low wines for a spirit run, run that through the 50 liter boiler (with a reflux column) for your neutral spirit. That will get you a good take of neutral hearts with which to make a few fine batches of gin.

With the neutral, macerate and use the 1 liter potstill to do the final pass for your gin. You'll be very pleased with the results. Check out Odin's EZ gin recipe in the Tried & True forum. It has all the info necessary for correct adjustments of the botanicals and citrus according to scaling up or down.

Having both, a large boiler and smaller (specialty) boiler gives you better tools with which to make a superb product. The only thing you need to add....is the knowledge to run it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Ss

Excellent advice...!
A Vodka on a pot still is doable...but what you really want is a reflux still.
Have a look at the build threads in here and see what fine equipment the members have built.
One option could be a CCVM like DAD300 has made. It is easy to fabricate and would be perfect for your boiler.
Once you have neutral hearts, it will be much easier to run a batch of gin on your small still.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That refluxed neutral is necessary for gin is more of an internet perpetuated myth than a fact. As long as the base spirit has compatible or complimentary flavors, or isn't a mismatch, pot stilled is fine.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

NZChris wrote:That refluxed neutral is necessary for gin is more of an internet perpetuated myth than a fact. As long as the base spirit has compatible or complimentary flavors, or isn't a mismatch, pot stilled is fine.
THIS!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

True, heck look at genevers for extreme examples. But a truly perfect neutral base and a delicate to moderate botanical bill makes an incomparable gin martini that you simply can not buy for any price. And it makes a helluva mouthwash to swish, SWALLOW, and start your day or night with the freshest breath.
Tomgin
Novice

Post by Tomgin »

Thank you all for your replays!

Sorry my question was very vague!!

I have made my low wines which I'm happy with on the 50litre pot still.
It's the botanical amounts scaling up that I was needing help with.
I tried to just multiply per litre but obviously you can imagine how that came out!!
I'll look at all the info you all have given and try that, thanks for all the help!!
Tomgin
Novice

Post by Tomgin »

still_stirrin wrote:I'd use the big 50 liter boiler to do the stipping runs. And then, after collecting enough low wines for a spirit run, run that through the 50 liter boiler (with a reflux column) for your neutral spirit. That will get you a good take of neutral hearts with which to make a few fine batches of gin.

With the neutral, macerate and use the 1 liter potstill to do the final pass for your gin. You'll be very pleased with the results. Check out Odin's EZ gin recipe in the Tried & True forum. It has all the info necessary for correct adjustments of the botanicals and citrus according to scaling up or down.

Having both, a large boiler and smaller (specialty) boiler gives you better tools with which to make a superb product. The only thing you need to add....is the knowledge to run it.
ss

Thank you!! Do you have a link to Odin's you mentioned??!!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Odin's Easy Gin
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... 14&t=48594
Very easy, very good and a great place to start your gin journey.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Odin's recipe makes a delicious gin thats accessible for anyone to drink and easy to make - and yes, I make my vodka through my potstill, doesn't have to be neutral, just not to overpower the botanicals.