Thanks To All Seasoned Contributors

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks To All Seasoned Contributors

Post by Chixter »

This forum is da bomb! I was up all night reading the valuable information posted here. Let freedom ring! I have not distilled anything in my life. I helped a friend who made 250 gallons of Italian Red wine every year, that is the closest I ever got to making my own stuff. I will be using an 8 gallon pot still as stated in my Welcome post. I am intrigued by NC Hooch's bourbon recipe and cannot wait to try it but I will wait because: 1. It sounds like you need some still time before you attempt this. 2. I don't have a vessel large enough to cook that volume. I may at a future date try this with flaked corn instead of cracked, and use a steeping technique in my 12 gallon cooler which I have tested with 180 degree water and it holds that temp for hours. But getting back to #1, I'll see how it goes with UJSSM first. I have a 50# bag of cracked corn (I pilfered from my chickens) and my still should arrive by the end of next week. Everything else is in place. I'm a little nervous but one has to start somewhere right? For an experiment, a week ago I mixed 5# of cracked corn, 5# of sugar and 1 tbsp of DADY and set it to ferment with an airlock. It bubbled away and today I pulled the stopper and gave it a sniff.....it sure smells....alcoholy for lack of a better word. My hydrometer and other essentials will arrive with my still I'm curious to what the ABV is. Anyway, I,m eager to embark on this task. Again, thanx to those who have paved the road.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Thanks To All Seasoned Contributors

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, aren't you quite the "eager beaver".

You said you read "all night", that's good for a start. But it's only the introductory page. You've got to read the novel to better understand the "whole story". Check out Cranky's Spoon Feed thread hotlinked in my signature. There are many linked threads there too which you should follow and read as well.

One of the first things for the new still you're waiting for to arrive in the mail should be the proper cleaning protocol. Doing the thorough cleaning is most important because you don't know the family of mice that ate, slept, and shit in your equipment before you got it. Cleaning cannot be assumed. And the proper cleaning protocol should be well known...if you've truely done your homework.

So, settle in (settle down???) and read a while. And while you're at it, start a sugar wash fermenting (from the Tried & True recipe forum). You can use that to complete your sacrificial alcohol run when the time comes. In addition, it'll help teach you some of the fermentation processes and pitfalls you many encounter.

Good luck. Be safe. Be responsible. And be discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Ss

For sure, I can understand your excitement and that you're eager to get it all going.
However, don't take the short cuts and do the required reading in here...it will help you tremendously.
The sugar wash as Ss suggested, is also an excellent way to get familiar with your new equipment (take some notes it will help if the run shouldn't go as planned).
Because no matter what the manufacturer writes, the real conditions at your place will be different.
Furthermore, check everything before you fire her up (connection, gasket etc.) speaking of gaskets...NO silicone or rubberwhateverthing.. :!:
Maybe you could throw in a picture of your beauty so we all could see her..? :wink:
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Hmmm.... I was thinking of a white vinegar solution soak to all components for 24 hrs. Then I was thinking of running a white vinegar solution through the whole assembly. Then I was thinking of rinse/boil/run with just water. Am I missing something here? I will try the sugar wash though. Thanks.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

after running water /vinegar through the still you need to do a sacrificial alcohol run and a sugar wash is the cheapest to do. Please read Cranky's spoon feed thread
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

You can do an HD Google search on how to clean a new still (it's in the top bar on the page).
Now cleaning with vinegar is recommended...but a sacrificial run with alcohol in the boiler is mandatory too.
It will clean what the vinegar can't handle. Also, like I wrote before..it will give you the option to get familiar with your rig.
It is of utmost importance to get everything cleaned...there can and will be residue from the manufacturing process, that is very dangerous to ingest.
Being a professional metal worker myself, I know what kind of crap there can be hidden inside the produced items...trust me you don't want to take a shortcut here...it could be the last.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

So the wash I have (almost done) fermenting...50% each cracked corn and sugar. After I clean with vinegar, I should distill this for a fuel only alcohol run? It makes sense to me. Or should I make something special like a fresh sugar wash?
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

OK i got it. After vinegar cleaning I will distill an alcohol run before I try anything serious.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

yes and throw that alcohol away
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

+1 to all the advice given so far.

I'd make a low gravity sugar wash to use as the sacrificial alcohol cleaning run. Save your cracked corn flavored sugar wash for a clean still. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and as dieselduo suggested...there's no need to keep the sac run alcohol, unless you plan to use it for a fire starter. You don't want to accidently get it mixed with any of your "keeper spirits". Safety is not just a "good idea"....it's our mandate.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

No no no keep that. Will put in the can of fuels I use for my spud cannon, fired only on special occasions...thanks!
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Ok I'll get a low gravity sugar wash going now, and follow the recommended steps....checking for leaks, etc. I'll run the wash through and in the meantime start something good....I will check back when I'm ready to run for the Roses. In the meantime, I'll keep reading. Thanks!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Chixter wrote:Ok I'll get a low gravity sugar wash going now, and follow the recommended steps....checking for leaks, etc. I'll run the wash through and in the meantime start something good....I will check back when I'm ready to run for the Roses. In the meantime, I'll keep reading. Thanks!
You have gotten good advice that will enhance your 'Run For The Roses' .
If you follow that advice and return to share your experiences ; a whole new world will open up to you in your race .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Chixter wrote:No no no keep that. Will put in the can of fuels I use for my spud cannon, fired only on special occasions...thanks!
Now I have to make me one of those!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

heya chixter ive only done a few runs myself but even my sacrificial run it was an important learning curve (i run a reflux column) i used that experiance to learn what the guys ment about the foreshots heads hearts and tails the smell the feel (i didnt taste on my sac run i used alot of flux).
dont do short cuts or it may set you back a fair amount of time.good luck bud