Pasteurizing Wort

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pasteurizing Wort

Post by Chixter »

I've seen a couple of posts on this topic, but it seems like few if any here follow this method. Bringing the strained wort up to 190F for 15 minutes or so. Pour the hot wort into a suitable airtight container such as the cube seen on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptvVFoZ_pE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow This guy claims he can make wort and store it during the winter months, and then ferment and run in the spring. Any thoughts on this?
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pasteurizing Wort

Post by Swedish Pride »

yeah, you can if you want.
Personally I only do a mash when I want to ferment it so I don't bother with it
Don't be a dick
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Should be fine.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

One of the drawbacks is, that you inactivate your enzymes so they stop breaking down rests of starch into sugar.
For beer that is good, for it gives you a mouthfeel. But for distillates you miss a part of the obtainable sugar.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Kareltje wrote:One of the drawbacks is, that you inactivate your enzymes so they stop breaking down rests of starch into sugar.
For beer that is good, for it gives you a mouthfeel. But for distillates you miss a part of the obtainable sugar.
How much of the obtainable sugars I wonder? 5%, 10%, more? Do the enzymes inactivate during distilling say when the wort reaches over 160F?
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Chixter wrote:
Kareltje wrote:One of the drawbacks is, that you inactivate your enzymes so they stop breaking down rests of starch into sugar.
How much of the obtainable sugars I wonder? 5%, 10%, more? Do the enzymes inactivate during distilling say when the wort reaches over 160F?
Depends on your mashing. The colder you mash the more enzymes will stay alive. Colder mashing leads to less conversion per mashing time but more conversion while fermentation. I think 10% is a realistic number. I mash normally with such low temps that a iodine test always fails. But after fermentation I have FG 1.000 and of course no starch left.
Yes the enzymes die while heating up the wash. But before they have a few days.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

der wo, do you ferment on the grain?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Malt Whisky off the grain, Bourbon and Rye on the grain. Off the grain demands a straining and sparging and on the grain not. So the mashing process is very different of course. But what I wrote is valid for both on and off the grain fermentation IMO.

Edit: An interesting study about this topic:
The Evolution of Dextrins During the Mashing and Fermentation of All-malt Whisky Production
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0425.x/pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
With boiling 5.07%, without 5.76%. This is 13.6% more. Don't ask me why they got only such a low abv. Their OG (1.059) and FGs (it looks on the graph like 1.001 and 1.007) say, that they should have 6.76% or 7.54%. This would mean 11.5% more for the unboiled mash.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg