Power Option Opinions Sought

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Power Option Opinions Sought

Post by Chixter »

markieb wrote:alcohol is stacking in my cupboard but going down pretty fast too
I am sooooooo looking forward to those days! I have a 1st gen of UJSSM fermenting now, will strip it this w/e. I will strip 4-5 generations of this, yielding about 3 - 4l each and then combine and spirit run them. I'll get this ageing and than move on to AG which is what I came here for. My controller for my band heater came today, I tested it out with just H2O in the baylin' pot. It works great. I can finely tune the output just as I can the flame. Now I have my power options straightened out, I will use the Bayou burner for all of my stripping runs and when I do spirit runs requiring more finesse, I'll use the electric. With the electric, I can set my boiler on a slab of marble on my workbench and do everything from a nice position. Lots of room for collection jars and all. I hope to be tasting some good whiskey by Thanksgiving.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'll throw my .02 in as well, I work out of a 24x32 detached barn with 2 roller doors and plenty of windows.

I've always used propane and probably will till I'm finished with this hobby, won't be anytime soon I hope.

I see it as you have to fidget with it until you know your rig, now I'm sure the same applies to electronic as well.

I personally like propane because I can heat up fast, not worry about scorching an element, easy to control (not saying electronic isn't) I can run without power (storms)
also is the option to use natural gas with a conversion kit and it's super cheep.
I guess it all a personal preference as you've seen with the comments here so ultimately the choice is yours, I don't know about electronics AT ALL so my comments are solely based on propane experience, it may be the best thing since sliced bread but I like what I like and know how to use it safely and responsible.

Also noted, I use a thumper which puts my heat source further away from the condenser, I keep a positive airflow at all times, never leave it unattended and I love the sound of fuel burning. lol

Good luck, Shine0n
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Shine0n wrote: like propane because I can heat up fast
It sure does. 5 gal strip run this morning was chooching foreshots in 22 minutes. Yes I timed it. Dial it back and let 'er run. Once it's up to temp and dialed back it's surprising how little gas gets used.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I get 2 full runs and heat up on the 3rd and I run 2 15 gal kegs.
My refills are 14 bucks at Walmart for a 20 lb tank :thumbup: That's cheap for 2.5 runs!