FIRST TIME THUMPER HELP

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

FIRST TIME THUMPER HELP

Post by Antler24 »

Ok I been using a 15g boiler with liebig, 5500w element and controller for few years. Just got my 7.5g thumper finished up. Doing vinegar run right now.
So fired it up and boiler heats up as per usual. Thumper starts bubbling (downpipe has bunch of very tiny holes at the bottom rather than just open ended pipe) all of a sudden it's getting really loud lol. I cranked the heat back to ~65% to cut down on the noise as the kids are asleep right above my basement still area. Is this normal? Should I crank the heat to max until it starts running? The thumper charge ain't even hot yet just Luke warm, the noise was making me nervous lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: FIRST TIME THUMPER HELP

Post by jedneck »

Yup normal. Once up to near operating temp in will purr right along
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

No problem there, the bigger the thumper the louder the noise mines a 3 gallon and whispers so to speak.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Preheating the thumper charge will help quite it down sooner
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Thanks guys. She's all warmed up now and settled in, not too loud at all.

I bet you guys would have a great laugh, wife came down the steps wondering what the noise was only to discover my scared shitless expression, one hand on the breaker and the other covering my nuts lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Antler24 wrote: I bet you guys would have a great laugh, wife came down the steps wondering what the noise was only to discover my scared shitless expression, one hand on the breaker and the other covering my nuts lol
LOL is your mrs that scarey :ebiggrin:
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Lol I hid behind a door the first time out.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Yummyrum wrote:
Antler24 wrote: I bet you guys would have a great laugh, wife came down the steps wondering what the noise was only to discover my scared shitless expression, one hand on the breaker and the other covering my nuts lol
LOL is your mrs that scarey :ebiggrin:

Nah she's great, lol

Overall tonight was a success. No leaks and the vinegar run went well, I'll drain the boiler and thumper once it cools and hopefully sacrificial run Monday or Tuesday. Picking up some grain Monday to get a couple ujsm-style bourbon washes fermenting. Thanks to all the members of this forum that got me where I am today, you da real MVP!
Swedish Pride wrote:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You can bob your head to that music but , I'm damned if I can dance to it . Takes a bit of getting used to . When that music goes away it is time to get ready for the first drops out of your condenser .
The more often you run ; the more you will come to appreciate the music .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

jedneck wrote:Preheating the thumper charge will help quite it down sooner
Indeed, but you lose a bit of the effect too.

I remember the same reaction (apart from my hands for my nuts!).
Last time I almost panicked was because it suddenly stopped making noise. Afraid the outlet of the pipe was blocked!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Funny stories there, I cut the gas off and ran out the barn my first time. lol

If you ever plan to put any type of mash/grains or fruit in the thumper I would seriously think of an open end on your down pipe.
Holes can clog and build pressure, better to be safe than sorry.
Shine0n
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Shine0n wrote:Funny stories there, I cut the gas off and ran out the barn my first time. lol

If you ever plan to put any type of mash/grains or fruit in the thumper I would seriously think of an open end on your down pipe.
Holes can clog and build pressure, better to be safe than sorry.
Shine0n
Good call, I could have worded that differently, the downpipe is open ended, but I drill about a 1000 little holes within 3" from the bottom.
Swedish Pride wrote:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

good to know, just looking out bubba :thumbup:
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

remember the first time i ran mine. scared me to death. now, i dont even notice it. wait till you add a second thumper and they both are just purring along.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

nuntius01 wrote:remember the first time i ran mine. scared me to death. now, i dont even notice it. wait till you add a second thumper and they both are just purring along.
Building my second thumper was the best mod I did. I never do a run without the twins now.
UrToopid
Novice

Post by UrToopid »

My thumper is about one gallon and I usually charge it with 1 qt. of distilled water. I usually hear it start to percolate as the downcomer heats up. Just an afterthought.. My first time, my hands were already there..../grin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

So it was a busy week distilling. Water/ vinegar Saturday night sacrificial Tuesday night and the first keeper run through the still Wednesday night. Gen 8 of UJSM, 10g wash 2 gallons 40% low wines in the boiker and a gallon of low wines in the thumper. I typically do strip and spirit, but I think this ujsm was the nicest spirit I've ever made right off the still.
Jars 12-18 smelled like corn flavoured water at 75+ abv. I knew I wouldn't have time for cuts so they are stilled sealed waiting for me to get home.
While the still was heating up I cleaned out the fermenter and started a ujsm-style bourbon, 9 gallons water, 3 gallons backset, 17lbs sugar, 17lbs grain (70% corn, 14% rye, 16% winter wheat) and 2 liters boiled yeast slurry. Nottinham ale yeast. Going for something close to Maker's mark, that's the mash bill.
Swedish Pride wrote:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sounds good :thumbup:

Let your last run air out for 24 hours before you blend though, makes a good bit of difference!

Just me but I would've put 1 gal low wines in boiler and more in the thumper.

I just picked up 50 lbs sugar to try the ujssm, looking forward to it!!!
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Shine0n wrote:Sounds good :thumbup:

Let your last run air out for 24 hours before you blend though, makes a good bit of difference!

Just me but I would've put 1 gal low wines in boiler and more in the thumper.

I just picked up 50 lbs sugar to try the ujssm, looking forward to it!!!
I always air out the jars before making cuts, I just knew I wouldn't have enough time to make cuts as I was leaving the next day for work, so I sealed them up until I get back.

The ujsm is good. Great to get started. I like the end product it's nice I'm just a bourbon guy, and it lacks the different flavours of a nice bourbon imo.
Swedish Pride wrote: