Troubleshooting a Wash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PNW
Novice

Troubleshooting a Wash

Post by PNW »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Issue: No active bubbling in airlock, has been sitting with yeast since 8:00pm PST. When the lid is pressed down upon gently, bubbles hit the airlock; no idle bubbling occurring however. Can faintly hear fizzing occurring when ear is up to bucket.

Recipe:
5.5lbs sugar
5.5lbs molasses
1 Capful of Vanilla Extract
6tsp Red Star DADY
20L water

Should I be concerned yet or wait? I've duct taped the lid shut, eliminating the possibility of a bad seal.
PNW
Novice

Re: Troubleshooting a Wash

Post by PNW »

Think I solved it. I pushed the airlock down just a tad more and it's bubbling away now at a bubble per second.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Good job. For future reference airlocks are never to be trusted and a true seal is not needed. Save a duct tape tree next time, if you hear it fizzing you're good to go.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

+1, taking an OG and FG reading is your best indicator. I tend to be more like Cranky and let my ferment sit longer than necessary.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

That was my mistake. In the excitement of getting everything in the bucket, I did not use the hydrometer. Should I crack it open at this point and pull a reading?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Don't worry about it - with all that molasses, you won't get an accurate reading anyhow. You know it's fermenting, and sooner or later it will stop. Good time then to get a Gravity reading, so you will have an idea of where that molasses combo finishes up.

You won't get a real reading anyhow once it's fermenting as the CO2 bubbles stick to the glass and lift the hydrometer up :lol:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

FYI it was stated in a recent thread that vanilla doesnt really distill over.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Pikey wrote:Don't worry about it - with all that molasses, you won't get an accurate reading anyhow. You know it's fermenting, and sooner or later it will stop. Good time then to get a Gravity reading, so you will have an idea of where that molasses combo finishes up.

You won't get a real reading anyhow once it's fermenting as the CO2 bubbles stick to the glass and lift the hydrometer up :lol:
Now here comes the green question: what reading should I be looking for or anticipating?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

moleass will kick up .02 or .03 in normal amounts. so if you want a 10% wash, 1.095og to finish at 1.02 would not be un-normal. for a ball park guesstimate...ymmv
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Weird question, but is a black olives smell normal on a molasses/sugar wash that has fermented 6 days?

Reading today was 1.090
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I don't think I have ever smelled a wash that I would call black olives? Is that 1.090 a clear sample? Temp corrected? What temp is it fermenting at?
How close was everything measured? And did you add 20 liters of water, or top up to 20 liters final volume? I ask because while molasses does vary, I just plugged your recipe into a calculator that estimated your og at 1.086 for a total volume of 20 liters, it would be even less if you added 20l of water to get a total volume of, just guessing, maybe 24l?
I think something is off if you are anywhere near 1.090 after 6 days. Test it again after 24 hours, it should be dropping steadily, regardless of innacuracy from molasses unfermentables and what not.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Your temp is key, mid 80's f should have been finished by now but if at lower temps it may take a while.

You can use a hydrometer with molasses but the readings will be off BUT you can use a simple calculator to determine your abv

OG-FG ×'s 130=???

1.090-1.020=.07xs130=9.1% Just an example
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

zapata wrote:I don't think I have ever smelled a wash that I would call black olives? Is that 1.090 a clear sample? Temp corrected? What temp is it fermenting at?
How close was everything measured? And did you add 20 liters of water, or top up to 20 liters final volume? I ask because while molasses does vary, I just plugged your recipe into a calculator that estimated your og at 1.086 for a total volume of 20 liters, it would be even less if you added 20l of water to get a total volume of, just guessing, maybe 24l?
I think something is off if you are anywhere near 1.090 after 6 days. Test it again after 24 hours, it should be dropping steadily, regardless of innacuracy from molasses unfermentables and what not.
Measured fairly closely. No scale, but used amounts listed on sugar and molasses packaging. I added the ingredients to 20L water, following these instructions: http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Rum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Not sure I understand the clear sample question. Used a thief to extract sample of what is in the fermenter. Liquid is brown due to molasses. Temp is 68F.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Shine is right, get that temp up. DADY likes temps up to 90*F, 86-89 being ideal, and rum benefits from the flavors made at the higher end. Warming it up might suffice, but some light stirring to get the yeast back in suspension could help too.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Alright, so I can’t really control the temp since it’s in my garage, but I rehydrated some yeast and threw a tad more in. This is likely a stupid decision, but I’ll check again tomorrow. The yeast wasn’t very active throughout the past 7 days to begin with, so maybe this will do the trick while I noodle on how to warm it up.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Every ferment I do is in my garage and I control the temperatures of all of them.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

How so?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

A $10 aquarium heater is the easiest place to start, and they have moderately accurate thermostats. I prefer the fully submersible ones to the clip over the side type which don't seem to heat the wash evenly since it isnt circulating like an aquarium, especially when stalled out.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Anything except aquarium heaters. I use cheap controllers from Ebay and heat from below the fermenter with a variety of elements. I also insulate the fermenters, or put them in an old fridge.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

I use the high quality stainless steel aquarium heaters. They are high dollar but last WAY longer.

Well worth the coin.

On a side note- the longer the ferment takes = the better the likker' ends up being.

Jme.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Would the cord from the aquarium heater break the seal on the fermenter?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

PNW wrote:Would the cord from the aquarium heater break the seal on the fermenter?
Well...duh. It might, depending on how you run it.

If you run the cord through a stopper and seal the hole the cord runs through, then push the stopper in the lid of your fermenter...it wouldn't have to "break the seal". If you use your brain to figure something out, chances are it'll work for you. :crazy:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I put a 32 gallon Brute inside a 44 gallon Brute . Mash goes inside the 32 gallon .Clear water in the 44 gallon achieves nearly negative buoyancy and gives me a clear medium to insert an aquarium heater into . Few other tricks , too , but that's the basics .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i always pitch warm 105* or so. usually by the time the temperature drops to the 70's the ferment is all but done (day3). (assumes reasonable ambient temp, 72*) if you want it to stay warmer, just fold up a towel on top the pail.

I once wrapped one pail up and folded a painting dropsheet on top another,for an overnight GL rest. in the morning, the temperature of the totally wrapped up one was only about 2* higher, they were still both very warm...don't recall but too hot for yeast still. maybe 118-120?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Truckinbutch wrote:I put a 32 gallon Brute inside a 44 gallon Brute . Mash goes inside the 32 gallon .Clear water in the 44 gallon achieves nearly negative buoyancy and gives me a clear medium to insert an aquarium heater into . Few other tricks , too , but that's the basics .
I’d read recently about a “heater bomb” where you put the aquarium heater in a sealed bottle and drop it into the wash, but I like this idea even better.

Good stuff, man.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

"Breaking the seal" is the least of your worries .....
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

still_stirrin wrote:
PNW wrote:Would the cord from the aquarium heater break the seal on the fermenter?
Well...duh. It might, depending on how you run it.

If you run the cord through a stopper and seal the hole the cord runs through, then push the stopper in the lid of your fermenter...it wouldn't have to "break the seal". If you use your brain to figure something out, chances are it'll work for you. :crazy:
ss
Had to cut off the power plugs, they were 'formed' with the electric cord.
Drill a hole in the bung that goes into the bigger hole in the lid, and fit a replacement plug after pulling the cord through that hole....

Geoff

P.S. Actually my electrician friend fitted the cord using a two part fitting that goes above and below the lid (through a hole) and screws together... G.
The Baker
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

raketemensch wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:I put a 32 gallon Brute inside a 44 gallon Brute . Mash goes inside the 32 gallon .Clear water in the 44 gallon achieves nearly negative buoyancy and gives me a clear medium to insert an aquarium heater into . Few other tricks , too , but that's the basics .
I’d read recently about a “heater bomb” where you put the aquarium heater in a sealed bottle and drop it into the wash, but I like this idea even better.

Good stuff, man.
I line the 32 gallon with a clear 55 gallon bag . When I get it full and ready to ferment I stretch another 55 gallon clear bag over top for a seal . I never have to open anything to the environment to see what is going on inside .
Once the ferment is finished the top bag becomes the next liner and all the previous ferment lifts out with the last liner bag once I have racked and strained all I can dip out of it .
I concentrate that 2-3 gallons in one corner of the bag over a bucket and knife it to drain whats left .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Good news!

The airlock had the most action I've seen since I've started it, since I pitched more yeast (this time rehydrated) yesterday. The reading is now 1.080! That is a significant drop...0.60 more to go!