Running a higher FG?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PNW
Novice

Running a higher FG?

Post by PNW »

What are the impacts to running an FG around 1.050-1.060 into a pot still?

If it will be a knock on quality, I'm okay with it, seeing as how this will be a first run. I just want to make sure I'm not backing up to any safety issues in doing so.

If okay, then I'll throw the turbo (I know) clear and let it sit for the next day. By the way, I did not use any turbo yeast. My learnings here have taught me it is basically the devil.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Re: Running a higher FG?

Post by The Booze Pipe »

1.050-1.060 would be a common final gravity, at least in my experience. It sounds like this brew is for a still cleaning/sacrificial run?
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Additional information: this is a rum wash.

I've already cleaned the still. This would be a spirits run. If something good comes out of it, awesome! If it's terrible, then I can say I ran spirits!
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Those sound like opening gravities or you left out a 0. 1.005 to 1.006 would be fine for a rum. I would even expect 1.01 or 1.015.
What was your starting gravity?
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I am not sure I am reading this right or not.......
Was the sg 1.050 -1.060? What is the fg?

if you are saying that the wash is "finished" at 1.050 - 1.060, that is a LOT of sugar left.
somewhere between 7% and 8%potiential alcohol. about 1.24 pounds of sugar per gallon left in the wash.
I would be worried that all that sugar being boiled for an extended period of would make a hell of a mess inside the still.

Might make a hell of a fine hard candy too :wink:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

It depends. An all molasses Rum wash can have a OG 1.140 and a FG 1.065. It's not sugar, what rises the SG.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

der wo wrote:It depends. An all molasses Rum wash can have a OG 1.140 and a FG 1.065. It's not sugar, what rises the SG.
+1
My rums start at 1.1 and end somewhere around 1.030- 1.050
Take a taste and see if it's dry or not, if so run it, if not let it finish.
what temp is your ferment and the type of yeast used?

what size ferment?
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

So I didn’t take an initial, that was my rookie mistake. It smells like delicious beer right now, better than it did earlier in the week. Decided to give it another day to see where it lands and run it. Temp has been fluctuating between high 60s and high 70s.

Recipe:
5.5lbs sugar
5.5lbs molasses
1 Capful of Vanilla Extract
6tsp Red Star DADY
20L water
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I would not expect that wash to be done at 1.050 or .060.
A rough guess your OG should have been below 1.080, and can finish about 1.020.
Your rum is too cold. Get it in the mid 80's, give it a little stir to rouse the yeast and let it finish. Even if you can't warm it up, I'd still let it finish. Whats the rush, you're less than halfway done?
In a bad pinch? Probably won't hurt anything depending on how you heat.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Way too cold for a rum, warm that baby up and watch it roll.
As der wo mentioned though, give it a stir and keep it warm, mid to high 80's or low 90s will get you there quickly.
I do rums in the winter and use an aquarium heater or an insulated box with old blankets to keep warm. I've had a ferment go from 90f to 105 just from the fermentation alone so there is plenty of heat there now you just have to find a way to maintain it.

Shine0n

Edit* my ferments are significantly larger than yours so unless you have a 30 gal fermenter I'd suggest to stay away from the aquarium heater and use blankets instead.
PNW
Novice

Post by PNW »

Alrighty! We have an FG consistently of 1.040. Added the Turbo Clear and this is ready whenever!

My question now is: with the T500, is it worth doing a stripping rum then a spirits run, or just do a spirits run? The reason I ask is after searching, I see a lot or recommendations to do a stripping run with the T500 column, but I’m running the alembic pot still T500.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

mind if i jump in with a Q?

i usually run OG 1.062-1.064, finishes 1.002 in 4 days, clears in 5/6days and gets run on 6/7days...i built a new continuous mixer and using the same grain bill/quantity it OG'd at 1.08. :shock: Five full days later (120hours) it is 1.03 and still working, most of the grain cap has fallen but still has a bit. I've never run an OG this high.

anyone run AG on DADY at that high an OG?

if so...how long to finish at 80*?

i know, it'll be done when it's done, but i usually get 6 point in 4 days, on this i've only got 5 points in 5 days...on the bright side it has a nice fruity smell today :ebiggrin: which i think is a new smell in the ferment room.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I often have fermented something close to 1.080. Probably 1.077 was the maximum. It needs a week, although I add nutrients. 1.030 after 5 days unfortunately sounds like it will not finish at 1.002 this time.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg