Copper alembic and patina?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZDamon
Novice

Copper alembic and patina?

Post by NZDamon »

Hi All,

After doing a vinegar clean, and repeating the sacrificial run (because I forgot the vinegar run last time - at least I had the cheap vodka to reuse from the first one), I did the first two stripping runs from my 20L mash yesterday, in my copper alembic.

I think they went well. But before I talk about those, I want to check about something I observed after the first run - a bright orange deposit, particularly in the parts of the pot above the fill level. Reading around the forum a bit, I decided it was likely the formation of patina on the copper (http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=61178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow).

But I was surprised it came off so readily on my fingers & a paper towel, when I was rinsing out between runs (bit of puking on the first). So I just wanted to check to be sure, last thing I want to do is give myself copper poisoning (though the color of the distillate does not suggest copper contamination).
IMG_20170930_150446.jpg
IMG_20170930_150413.jpg
IMG_20170930_150433.jpg
IMG_20170930_150502.jpg
Cheers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Copper alembic and patina?

Post by NZChris »

Does it stink and taste bad.
NZDamon
Novice

Post by NZDamon »

Cannot say that I tasted or smelled it at the time, though I'd like to think I'd have noticed a stink.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What was on the towel looks like fusels
NZDamon
Novice

Post by NZDamon »

NZChris wrote:What was on the towel looks like fusels
Ah I see, that is possible. I didn't notice a smell but I wasn't actively smelling it. It is a mash heavy in esters, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a heap of fusels in there too. Although this was after several hot rinses and a bit of a scrub to remove the remnants of the puking.

Will check after I do my next run. I continued with my second run after seeing this (as I assumed it was patina) and there wasn't the same quantity - but I had also added butter to the second run to help with the puking, and it didn't so maybe fusels never had a chance to build up.