Rum Mash smells bad

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Neelin01
Novice

Rum Mash smells bad

Post by Neelin01 »

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone could describe what a rum mash should smell like?
I did one up on Saturday and it smelled amazing!!
Nothing beets that sweet smell of molasses. But last night and today not so much, it actually is pretty stinky I wouldn't say vomit or sulphur to describe the smell but if I had to lean one way or the other I would say closer to puke than sulphur. I'm not reall panicking but since this is my first attempt at a rum mash I have no clue what to look for. I was hoping someone out ther who has all ready done it could tell me how theirs smelled?
I used the still spirits rum recipe and their rum yeast.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Rum Mash smells bad

Post by NZChris »

As long as you have the patience to wait for the puke smell to convert to pineapple it will be ok, even better than it would have been without the infection. If you run it before it converts, you'll be stuck with the puke smell.

If you are in a hurry to do another ferment, get another fermenter.

Here's a recent thread from a panicking newbie with the same infection.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=67942
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Sulphur smell should go away on its own. It's a yeast nutriton problem often. If it's still there at the end of fermentation, you need much copper in the still. You could add copper now (place an oxidized copper pipe into the fermenter for exmple) to get it away faster and perhaps more complete.
If the puke smell is really a butyric infection, you can fight it between the stripping and spirit run by adding a tiny amount sulphuric acid to the low wines. When it's done, strip it. Then write us what do you think.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

What does it look like ? Does it seem to be infected or it just smells ?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

All you need for rum is molasses ,Dark brown sugar (optional) water and bread yeast.

Maybe the "rum yeast" is the culprit?

Like NZChris said try and wait it out, as fermentation takes place the alcohol will become more and more and convert the nasty into a pineapple aroma that will transfer over when distilled.

der wo knows about infections as well and can help guide you right :thumbup:

Just have some patience and let this come around, like I said rum is very simple and straightforward, dont let a salesman tell you need unnecessary crap to make likker because he's there to sell and probably never made a drop in his life.

Start another ferment, at least enough stripping runs for a full charge of 30-35% low wines. Then a spirit run nice and medium paced flow and you'll be rewarded with a nice white rum at which point you can sip or age.

Good luck,
Shine0n
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Shine0n wrote:Maybe the "rum yeast" is the culprit?
Good point ShineOn, if its anything like most of their other yeasts it is going to stink.
Shine0n wrote:All you need for rum is molasses ,Dark brown sugar (optional) water and bread yeast.
:thumbup: +1 Rum is one of the easiest things to ferment if you put all the BS aside, Molasses , water , bread yeast, a pinch of Epsom salts,and a little Vit B is all I ever use.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Rum is one of the easiest things to ferment if you put all the BS aside
Yes. But why since we talk more about intentional infections suddenly there are more and more threads about unintentional infections? That's strange.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

We don't even know that this fellas problem is actually an infection. Its just what some people have guessed at without even seeing the wash.
For what its worth Ive never had an infection in a rum wash , and I don't wish to have one, my rum turns out very nicely without.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. Actually it's not so easy to get an butyric infection. Before fermentation it's more likely to get a lactic one or a wild yeast, after it's more likely to get an acetic one.
Perhaps it's because we have written so much about infections last months? Now when something is not working, many members first idea is an infection?
Neelin01
Novice

Post by Neelin01 »

Thanks guys. I will definitely wait it out. I'm not panicking or anything. Just wondering if this is a normal smell as it's my first go. My next attemp I will follow a tried and true recipe.
Also, I will update on progress with this wash and let everyone know how it turns out
Regardless. I'm having a lot of fun with this new hobby!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Good deal :thumbup:

Rum is by far the easiest thing I've made but after you get it down that's where the real fun begins with experiments.

if you don't have another fermenter I suggest you buy one so you don't drive yourself crazy waiting on one to finish.
Neelin01
Novice

Post by Neelin01 »

It's smelling a little better now, not quite like pine apple but not like puke either lol
It's stoped bubbling and the SG is at 990 and it tastes ALOT better than it smells. Actually it tastes great. I'm going to clear it with the clearing agent and run it tomorrow night. I will let you all know how it works out. I tried to upload pics but can't figure out how to make the files small enough to upload.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven't tried to clear a rum wash in thirty years of making it. I can't think of a reason to.

I've taken to not stripping my rums for at least six days after they go dead. Got the idea from a small Jamaican rum distillery who reckon the extra time is good for flavor development. The results have been very good and I won't be going back to short rests.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Neelin01 wrote: Actually it tastes great.
If its really finished it should taste dry and slightly sour.
I wouldn't bother trying to clear it ...leave it a week and let the rubbish settle to the bottom ..then rack it off into the boiler while trying to leave most of the sludge on the bottom of the fermenting vessel.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Neelin01 wrote:........Regardless. I'm having a lot of fun with this new hobby!
+1 for the right attitude. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Neelin01
Novice

Post by Neelin01 »

So I did the run, it turned out pretty good, kind of harsh but I'm hoping with time it will be a little smoother.
Over all I'm pretty happy for my first rum wash. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Neelin01 wrote:So I did the run, it turned out pretty good, kind of harsh but I'm hoping with time it will be a little smoother.
Over all I'm pretty happy for my first rum wash. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!
Congratulations on your first rum. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
tuner
Novice

Post by tuner »

NZChris wrote:As long as you have the patience to wait for the puke smell to convert to pineapple it will be ok, even better than it would have been without the infection. If you run it before it converts, you'll be stuck with the puke smell.

Hi All,
I sure have to laugh about the "Panicking" - if you have never had this bad of an infection, this strong in your brew room ~ in doors ~ you will understand.
So after I kicked the barrel over, more than a week ago, it still sinks outside like a BIG puke feast!! This is outside in the compost pile!!
If it is this bad outside, it will not go away!! Sorry no Pineapple ever for that mash. Maybe wait a year, the PUKE may go away. Life is to short to mess with a bad mash.

Garbage into the Still, Garbage Out of the Still.

Cheers
TUner
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

tuner wrote:
NZChris wrote:As long as you have the patience to wait for the puke smell to convert to pineapple it will be ok, even better than it would have been without the infection. If you run it before it converts, you'll be stuck with the puke smell.

Hi All,
I sure have to laugh about the "Panicking" - if you have never had this bad of an infection, this strong in your brew room ~ in doors ~ you will understand.
So after I kicked the barrel over, more than a week ago, it still sinks outside like a BIG puke feast!! This is outside in the compost pile!!
If it is this bad outside, it will not go away!! Sorry no Pineapple ever for that mash. Maybe wait a year, the PUKE may go away. Life is to short to mess with a bad mash.

Garbage into the Still, Garbage Out of the Still.

Cheers
TUner
Like me, if you hadn't kicked the barrel over, you might have learned a valuable lesson.

Cheers
Chris