All Distillates Have Similar Papery Taste

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kimbodious
Distiller

Re: All Distillates Have Similar Papery Taste

Post by kimbodious »

Re cleaning, I have never felt the need to use anything other than water or hot water to rinse and clean my still, boiler and fermenters - after runs. Are you sure you aren't unintentionally introducing flavours and odours through the cleaning compounds you are using?
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
TomCat_32
Novice

Post by TomCat_32 »

I haven’t used cleaning compounds in the boiler outside of vinegar and water (and distilled that). I put PBW in it initially boiler but have rinsed it out thoroughly multiple times and have distilled multiple times since then so I don’t think that’s an issue. Could it be that I use starsan to clean my fermenter buckets and there is some foam left when I transfer the mash? I know that doesn’t affect beer but could it be coming out in the distillate?

I took some of my hearts from the center cut of my last run and burned it on a spoon and it burned blue without any yellow “beard” at all so I would assume this means it’s fairly pure/doesn’t have tails.

What I will try next is insulating the boiler and column for more steady temperatures (as I should have done this from the start) and will take cheap vodka and distill it to see if it’s the still itself. I would have guessed that it was just me and my taste buds out of whack but my brother can also taste the paper notes. Either or, I will repost my results.

I truly appreciate all of you guys for your responses and trying to get to the bottom of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomCat_32
Novice

Post by TomCat_32 »

I haven’t used cleaning compounds in the boiler outside of vinegar and water (and distilled that). I put PBW in it initially boiler but have rinsed it out thoroughly multiple times and have distilled multiple times since then so I don’t think that’s an issue. Could it be that I use starsan to clean my fermenter buckets and there is some foam left when I transfer the mash? I know that doesn’t affect beer but could it be coming out in the distillate?

I took some of my hearts from the center cut of my last run and burned it on a spoon and it burned blue without any yellow “beard” at all so I would assume this means it’s fairly pure/doesn’t have tails.

What I will try next is insulating the boiler and column for more steady temperatures (as I should have done this from the start) and will take cheap vodka and distill it to see if it’s the still itself. I would have guessed that it was just me and my taste buds out of whack but my brother can also taste the paper notes. Either or, I will repost my results.

I truly appreciate all of you guys for your responses and trying to get to the bottom of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

TomCat_32 wrote:I took some of my hearts from the center cut of my last run and burned it on a spoon and it burned blue without any yellow “beard” at all so I would assume this means it’s fairly pure/doesn’t have tails.
That really isn't much of a test. Smelling is also a test and that is telling you that it isn't pure.

You should try the copper test. You might notice a change in as little as 10 minutes.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

dieselduo wrote:could be your packing is not clean,
You haven't mentioned how you are managing the packing.

Does the packing have the same papery smell?
How do the scrubbers appear?
Have you tried a stripping run without the packing?

I used a Turbo yeast once. It took a lot of rinsing to get that smell out of the packing (stainless steel scrubbers + 2 copper scrubbers) on my old CM.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Yukoncornelius
Novice

Post by Yukoncornelius »

Hi tomcat_32. Have you had any luck solving this problem?
I joined for this specific post as I’m having identical problems from a very similar setup. I ran a large batch of teddysad ffv recipe everything seemed to go great but I’ve got a cardboard/ stail paper taste from start to finish. I’ve done lots of internet searching and oxidation seems to be my best guess at the moment. I’ve read that it’s a common problem in beer or wine but can’t seem to find much in the distilling category. The reason I belive oxidation May be the issue is my wash is in a barrel with no gasket seal and the wash was transferred to another barrel for settleing and clearing but got left sitting for a few weeks longer than needed. And after that the barrel was tipped over and moved by rolling around.

I’ve got a decent sized list of possible rectifications that I’ll be trying this next wash. I’ll keep trying until I find the cause.
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

I'm thinking (all due respect) it maybe a novice thing, as I am fighting the same thing. I just ran a grapefruit brandy last night, collecting in 1/2 pint jars, everything was going fine for the first quart and then the tails came in and stayed for the next 1/2 gal. When I shut it down it was 154 proof steady with no real signs of slowing down.
My point is, almost all of my runs have basically tasted this way to some degree one way or another from start to finish. The last 2 (1- UJSSM & 1- Grapefruit) had maybe a pint of really good tasting stuff and then nasty the rest of the way out. But, it's an improvement from the last dozen runs or more. I have cleaned my 2" copper reflux column by soaking it in the tub with a heavy dose of acid blend (its all I had at the time) for hours then scrubbing it out with the carboy brush and a fresh rinse. Afterwards, 50/50 vinegar and water, Sac alcohol run, new copper mesh boiled in vinegar then just removed completely. The list goes on and on.....
I just keep "wiping the blood away" and read some more. So, the only real common denominator I see here is us. (being newish and all) I would love nothing more than one of these guys to just come over to the house, have a beer and say " Ha! that's what your doing wrong dummy!" but, instead I just keep reading.
Now, I'll start investigating the "running too slow" wormhole.
Good Luck My Friend.....