Re-using charred oak

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tito
Novice

Re-using charred oak

Post by Tito »

I have some 3/4” x 3/4” x 5” white oak sticks that i toasted and charred. I had some UJ sitting on it for a while until it got the color and flavor i liked. I just took them out. What is the best way to store them until i put some more UJ on them? I assume re using would not be a problem.
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Re: Re-using charred oak

Post by Cu29er »

They will be 'weaker' the second use so plan on more time.
Best way to store is in more UJ, or a jar with a lid on them. Alcohol content from the first use should still be soaked in and preserving them.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I like the second use actually better than the first. But sometimes add some fresh sticks also so a mix of new and old. I typically oak for 10-12+ months so second use is less cigarish with oak than all fresh oak..

B
Tito
Novice

Post by Tito »

I only had mine on for 4 months, but i think i had too many sticks in. I had 4 in a gallon. It was My first time aging so i guess i have a starting point to go off of though. I wanted to leave on the oak much longer but I was afraid the oak would be too much...it is almost too strong now. I have had them in the attic. I have 10 gallons ready for a spirit run. Just waiting for enough time for a run and i can re use the sticks. They also have a lot of the vanilla smell to them from when i had a bean in for the first week. Another reason i would like to re use.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I use 6 in a gallon http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50348

But there is an akward stage in oaking.. for me it starts normally about 2 months... and then continue till 8-9 months

During this stage things had lots of tannins and down seam to come together. I took some at 14 months off oak I thought was over oaked after another 6 months, I thought it could use more oak.

Now I normally put stuff on oak and check about the 6 month mark and then at 10-12 months. After that I only check for over oaking but not happened really yet.

B