Do I make cuts in my second run?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Neelin01
Novice

Do I make cuts in my second run?

Post by Neelin01 »

Hi guys. I have a t500 reflux still. It's taking me a while but I think I'm actually getting the hang of it now. Did a few runs that turned out great and a few not so great. I made one batch of rum and it's pretty horrible lol
I'm running it through again and I'm just wondering If I should do it like a normal run? I am doing it like it's a first run in 500 ml jars But since I did cuts in the first run will they be tighter now in the second run? Also will it produce foreshots again or no? I'm thinking not but I took the first 150 ml off as foreshots any how to be safe. It's only maybe 3 gallons or so after diluting down to 30%
Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Do I make cuts in my second run?

Post by still_stirrin »

Are you running the T500 "detuned"...that is, as a potstill?

If you're running it as a reflux still, then you could take a little heads cut and collect the majority in a large jars. If running it as a potstill, then taking smaller jars will help you in the end with blending the rum back together. Rums have a lot of flavor which benefits from early/mid/end run additions. But to "set & forget" is not the best method for rich flavors, although the reflux column will smash out a lot of the flavors.

I'd say, pick a tool and exploit it. However you set your stillhead and how you run it will at the least, be a learning lesson going forward. Strap on your "big boy pants" and dive in.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Gaffatron
Novice

Post by Gaffatron »

if its the T500 column still I collect the first 500ml and toss it most of the bad stuff is out by then, then collect all the way until you are getting a drip per second and shut it off there is no need for ''cuts'' using a reflux.

if you want to make better juice then look into the tomato paste wash ''TPW'' cheaper and heaps better.

Assuming you are making neutral washes and adding essence?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Neelin01 wrote:I am doing it like it's a first run in 500 ml jars
500ml cuts are way to big to be making with a T500, Especially for someone who's still learning , you will learn a lot more a lot faster using smaller jars, 250-300 ml.
It wont hurt to make cuts on your second run, you can only learn from the exercise.
Gaffatron wrote:if its the T500 column still I collect the first 500ml and toss it most of the bad stuff is out by then, then collect all the way until you are getting a drip per second and shut it off there is no need for ''cuts'' using a reflux.
Gafftron there isnt a still on earth that doesnt require you to make cuts.
You are obviously taking the rubbish printed in the T500 manual seriously.
You would be better of throwing the instruction manual that comes with a T500 in the bin and reading some of the T500 posts here, you will learn much more.