Novices: A word about the value of this forum.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Novices: A word about the value of this forum.

Post by Chixter »

I am quite new to this distilling. I helped a friend make large batches of wine years ago, but I was just the muscle he was much older than me and knew all the details that I did not. Like most newcomers I am eager as all get out to make something that I'm proud to drink/serve. It's been a couple of months now and I've drank narry a drop of any distilled hooch. But I'm getting there. And this forum is why. Case history: I've done 5 generations of UJSSM and stripped them into low wines. Each generation performed the same, I was very careful to keep conditions the same. They all took 4-5 days to ferment, SG about 1.064 FG about .998. On my 6th (and last) generation I noticed something. No airlock activity after 2 days. Odd. On day 3 I uncovered and took a reading; 1.052 and still had a sweet taste. Everything I did with this batch was identical to the batches before...temp, water, % of backset, etc. What was going on? Rather than throw a question out here and wait for replies I used the HD Google search "UJSSM Ferment stalling". There were dozens of posts on likely causes and one that made to most sense to me was the increased acidity of higher generations due to the acid accumulation of backset additions. My city water is 7.2 I never gave thought to PH. I strip tested and saw this 6 gal wash was around 3....far to low for a proper ferment. From the posts I developed an action plan. small amounts of calcium carbonate, yeast nutrient (I use Carlsons). For the hell of it I sprinkled in a teasp of fresh yeast. The result? A properly active wash that started choochin' again in about 2 hrs. It is just about done now, soon I will strip this and move on to spirit running my 6+ gallons of UJ low wines. I love having a desktop computer in my shop, the answers seem to be very close by at all times.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Novices: A word about the value of this forum.

Post by StillerBoy »

Congratulations..

The answer to whatever question/problem that may raise is here in this forum.. one only need to spend the time required to get the answer or solution.. far to many want to be spoonfeed and noting is learned from it..

Congratulations for finding the answer, and learning much in the process..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I applaud you Chixter. You've stated what the old timers have alluded to...the answers to ALL questions are here...somewhere. You just have to look.

With your inquisitive nature and the open mind, you'll go far. Happy distilling.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'm applauding too! :clap: :clap:

you've done something i have yet to accomplish - restarting a stall.

and i've stalled...umm...a few of them. yeah that;s it...a few. :oops: :roll:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Like a good old neighborhood general store, if you look long enough, you'll find everything you need.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:wave: With the attitude you have and your approach to problems I hope you become an 'Old Timer ' here .
You are a lesson on your own for the ones that want to be spoon fed .
Stay with us on those spitit ( my finger stuttered and i started to correct to spirit runs and realized that until you master cuts they can be just that ) runs . I don't think it will take you long to get a pleasing drop .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Congrats!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Good going, Chixter!
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

Still Life wrote:Good going, Chixter!
I hope it stays going that way SL. I have the fixins' for your rye recipe en route!
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Good job Chixter, having a problem, looking it up and finding your answer is great because you read the threads and see replies to them and learn from them.

Not only what to do but countless opinions on what not to do, you cant read just one part of a thread for an answer and take it as the truth because in some cases longer threads can change and what seemed to have worked really didn't in the long run.

I applaud you for doing and posting about this experience.

Keep up the good work,
Shine0n
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Chixter wrote:
Still Life wrote:Good going, Chixter!
I hope it stays going that way SL. I have the fixins' for your rye recipe en route!
I'm humbled.
It's good right off the spout. Only 3 months in a barrel so far, and it's really perking up.
I hope you like it, too!