Gin aroma wheels

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

esxman
Novice

Gin aroma wheels

Post by esxman »

I found these aroma wheels on Pinterest whilst researching Gins . Maybe of help to beginners .

http://www.huntingspirits.tv/gin-tasting-the-wheel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/0c/cb ... 476b18.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

You will need to cut n paste into your browser , well worth saving . I also came across fixatives , not directly for Gin , but pot-pourri , the fixatives are really similar to orris root and angelica , heres the list , but you need to check if they can be used in your gin .

Gum benzoin resin, ground
Sandalwood bark
Myrrh
Frankincense
Vetiver root
Tonquin/Tonka bean
Costmary
Patchouli, dried leaves
Calamus root
Oakmoss
Cellulose fibre
Dry lavender, whole or ground
Clary sage leaves
Cinnamon stick, ground or broken
Nutmeg
Vanilla pods
Myrtle leaves, dried.
Happy Ginning !
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Gin aroma wheels

Post by jb-texshine »

Tonka bean contains coumarin and is toxic in high enough doses. Something like 30 beans will kill you.
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I think that there is a pretty good reason that traditionally gin manufacturers have stuck to orris root and angelica as fixatives. Its pretty hard to reinvent the wheel, most things have been tried before.
Most of what I can see in that list either has a very strong taste or smell.....most of them I wouldn't want in my gin.
In the second link note the difference in taste / flavour between cinnamon and cassia. The two look very similar and are often sold as the same thing ..they are not. Cassia is the better for gins in my opinion.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

+1 to Saltbush Bill

What most people think of as cinnamon sticks are actually cassia bark. It's generally better for gin anyway if you're using it.

I'd be very very VERY careful as a novice experimenting too far out of the box with gin botanicals. You're creating a highly concentrated distillate that would amplify any toxic components present. Not saying it can't be done, but a large measure of caution and research is advised.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
esxman
Novice

Post by esxman »

I am not advocating using the stuff listed, please do the research . For instance your cassia , cinnamon bark users , did you know there was a "good" cinnamon , it is called Ceylon cinnamon , the "bad" one is Chinese cinnamon , cassia .The undesirable one sometimes is sold off as Ceylon cinnamon , but again , do your homework before you use stuff . The aroma wheels are interesting in that they show you all the botanicals that have been used in the making of gin.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

In the case of gin the bad one is the good one .............does that make sense ? :roll:
Its very easy to tell the difference once you know how.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

esxman wrote:I am not advocating using the stuff listed, please do the research.
In that same vein, I found this as the botanicals mix for various brands.
Caveat emptor!
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/guides/sti ... botanicals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
esxman
Novice

Post by esxman »

Bamaberry , thanks for that guide , the more the merrier ! . The recipes are interesting too