couple ?s for a big spirit run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve3730
Bootlegger

couple ?s for a big spirit run

Post by Steve3730 »

I'm planning out doing my biggest spirit run yet. Haven't measured it all yet but I believe we will have 10-12 gallons of low wines in the 30-40% range. Usually my runs around 4-6 gallons, so the jump up gives me two questions

1. How long should I expect this to take? trying to plan if we should do it over two days working in shifts or just start super early am.
2. When doing a larger run do you make your cuts in larger jars? I usually use 8oz jars but this big of a run I'm wondering if I'd be ok collecting in 16oz jars and maybe drop down to 8oz when my spirit is close to switching heads-heart-tails

Any other tips for the large run? It will be 4 of us running the still so working in shifts is an idea
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: couple ?s for a big spirit run

Post by still_stirrin »

Steve3730 wrote:...1. How long should I expect this to take? trying to plan if we should do it over two days working in shifts or just start super early am.
How big is your boiler? 10-12 gallons will fit into a keg perfectly. How do you heat it?

How long...with 12 gallons of low wines at 35%ABV, you’ll get roughly 6 gallons of product (12 x 35% / 70%ABV average), that is you’ll collect the spirit at an average of 140 proof through a potstill. With a spirit run, I’d estimate collection at a quart every 15 minutes, or about a gallon per hour +/-. So, 6 gallons x 1 gal/hr = 6 hours (after heat up and production starts). Depending on how you heat, that could add another hour.

So, an 8-hour day with set up and clean up.
Steve3730 wrote:...2. When doing a larger run do you make your cuts in larger jars? I usually use 8oz jars but this big of a run I'm wondering if I'd be ok collecting in 16oz jars and maybe drop down to 8oz when my spirit is close to switching heads-heart-tails.
I always collect the foreshots in 1/2 pints. Then switch to pints for the heads until I know I’m into the hearts. Then, I switch to quarts until I suspect the tails are getting close. I switch back to pints for a short while through this transition and then finish up in one last quart jar (or maybe 2 for a bourbon run, since there will still be good flavors coming over late).

Knowing the low wines volume and measuring the %ABV before the run, will give me a rough idea where those cuts will likely be, so as I collect, I monitor the proof and smells to validate the collection changes.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Steve3730
Bootlegger

Post by Steve3730 »

still_stirrin wrote:
Steve3730 wrote:...1. How long should I expect this to take? trying to plan if we should do it over two days working in shifts or just start super early am.
How big is your boiler? 10-12 gallons will fit into a keg perfectly. How do you heat it?

How long...with 12 gallons of low wines at 35%ABV, you’ll get roughly 6 gallons of product (12 x 35% / 70%ABV average), that is you’ll collect the spirit at an average of 140 proof through a potstill. With a spirit run, I’d estimate collection at a quart every 15 minutes, or about a gallon per hour +/-. So, 6 gallons x 1 gal/hr = 6 hours (after heat up and production starts). Depending on how you heat, that could add another hour.

So, an 8-hour day with set up and clean up.
Steve3730 wrote:...2. When doing a larger run do you make your cuts in larger jars? I usually use 8oz jars but this big of a run I'm wondering if I'd be ok collecting in 16oz jars and maybe drop down to 8oz when my spirit is close to switching heads-heart-tails.
I always collect the foreshots in 1/2 pints. Then switch to pints for the heads until I know I’m into the hearts. Then, I switch to quarts until I suspect the tails are getting close. I switch back to pints for a short while through this transition and then finish up in one last quart jar (or maybe 2 for a bourbon run, since there will still be good flavors coming over late).

Knowing the low wines volume and measuring the %ABV before the run, will give me a rough idea where those cuts will likely be, so as I collect, I monitor the proof and smells to validate the collection changes.
ss

I have a 15.5 gallon keg converted with a 5500w heating element. All the low wines are in carboys right now so I'll have to combine it all together before I can proof it and get an accurate volume measurement.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

SS gave you some good advice there. I run basically the same rig as you- keg with 5500w element. For a 10-12 gallon spirit run, I would allocate at least 8 hours as he said. I run a little slower, but probably need to speed things up a bit. I usually target 2L/hour for heads and 3L/hour once I know I’m in hearts.

Once you know your volume and abv, you can plug it into the pot still calculator on the parent page. http://homedistiller.org/calcs/husker_pot_calc_v2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. I ignore the time and cuts indicators, but find the collected volume to be useful. It helps me plan how much I expect to collect and how many jars to use.

For something that big, I usually collect early heads in quart jars, then pints, then hearts in quarts, and then back to pints once i think I’m nearing a transition.

Use the calculator to figure out roughly how much volume you’ll collect. Then figure your collection rate. You’ve got it all figured out then..

Good luck!

SR
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Read SS post very carefully, it's all there with some great advise.

on a 2" pot i'd be collecting at 3 to 4 LPH too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Steve3730 wrote:...All the low wines are in carboys right now so I'll have to combine it all together before I can proof it and get an accurate volume measurement.
Here’s a lesson for you....if you can “see” the volume in each of the carboys, you have a very good idea what the volume in each is. Now, measure the %ABV in each carboy. Simply multiply the volume by the %ABV (for each) and you’ll get the “theoretical” alcohol in each carboy.

Next, sum the volumes together to calculate the total volume. Then, sum the “theoretical” alcohol volumes together. Finally, divide the summed “theoretical” alcohol volume by the summed low wines volume. You’ll get the (calculated) %ABV of the (calculated) low wines equivalent to when you actually pour it together inside your boiler.

Visually, it looks like this:
V1 x %ABV1 = vol alc 1
V2 x %ABV2 = vol alc 2
V3 x %ABV3 = vol alc 3

(alc vol 1 + alc vol 2 + alc vol 3) / (V1 + V2 + V3) = %ABV of total low wines volume (V1 + V2 + V3)
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

awsome thanks guys i too am just gearing up for a largish strip and spirit run have 180 litres of cornflakes nearly ready its at 1.4 atm from a 1.75 sg its taking forever in my new 220 ltr fermenter but first wash in it so guess it will work itself out eventually next run will be a tpw for some neutral for xmas drinking.its my own fault for the time as i messed up the sugar calculations i done it for a 110ltr not a 220.25kg sugar 7 packs of cornflakes (aldi replica kellogs) 20 ltrs backset and added in another 6kg sugar a week later when the ferment was down to 1.3.its taken another week to get back to 1.4 :oops: just hope it doesnt get infected or something il be proper annoyed lol also messed the cornflakes up i didnt mash and boil them up just poured straight into the fermenter :roll: to frickin impatient for my own good aye :oops:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you are in a hurry, keep the yeast happy by controlling the temperature to the high side of ideal. Keep an eye on the pH. Nobody wants a stall in a ferment intended for this Xmas.

I've never done cornflakes, but I suspect boiling them would be a mistake and that you have done the right thing.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

NZChris wrote:If you are in a hurry, keep the yeast happy by controlling the temperature to the high side of ideal. Keep an eye on the pH. Nobody wants a stall in a ferment intended for this Xmas.

I've never done cornflakes, but I suspect boiling them would be a mistake and that you have done the right thing.
thanks chris ive got my 300w fish tank heater in there atm so its going to boost it along as the temp did drop to 19c.i ended up seiving blending and boiling the cornflakes today and placed it back into the fermenter with a split bag of sugar i dropped so i dissolved and put that in too :lol: its picked up pace alot since this afternoon when i started.i do think im going to need a pump of some description to drain this beast out tho a normal fermenter barrel racking cane i doubt would even come out half way down the barrel these 220ltr olive barrels are beasts but a damn site easier to ferment in than a 25ltr bucket.
in saying that ive a pool pump for my inflatable puddle(blow up pool) 2kw pump should do the trick with a new filter and steralisation just dont tell the mrs the kid will be drunk next spring when he goes for a dip :lol: i used to put beer cans in my pool for when i came home from work to be chilled now id just be able to dive right into a pool full of wine :ebiggrin: