Copper in the boiler?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Username
Novice

Copper in the boiler?

Post by Username »

I've no problem finding off cuts of copper pipe, but seem to have trouble finding copper scrubbers
My question is would this be alright in the boiler, as in, in the liquid? Or do I need it in the vapor path?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Copper in the boiler?

Post by NZChris »

Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I tried to find a topic, started by Odin, about using copper.
Could not find it. :crazy:
There was some conclusion about the benefits of using copper either in the upgoing or in the downgoing path.

But I am not sure if I remember that correctly. In that time I had a still with iron up and copper down and a still with copper up and ss down. So I had interest in both visons. :crazy:

Edit: Oh, I used some copper coins as boilerstones in my iron boiler. But in hindsight I think that was not wise: a small amount of copper strongly enhances iron rust. (Zinc would have been better!) But in a ss boiler that should be no problem.
Last edited by Kareltje on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kareltje wrote:I tried to find a topic, started by Odin, about using copper....Could not find it.
Do you mean this thread? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=42610
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

still_stirrin wrote:
Kareltje wrote:I tried to find a topic, started by Odin, about using copper....Could not find it.
Do you mean this thread? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=42610
YES! Thank you!
Username
Novice

Post by Username »

Great links lads, thanks!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Username wrote:My question is would this be alright in the boiler, as in, in the liquid?
Pipe off cuts are fine in the boiler in my opinion.
Ultimately its personal choice , many do , some dont.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Kareltje wrote:I tried to find a topic, started by Odin, about using copper.
There was some conclusion about the benefits of using copper either in the upgoing or in the downgoing path.

But I am not sure if I remember that correctly. In that time I had a still with iron up and copper down and a still with copper up and ss down. So I had interest in both visons. :crazy:

Edit: Oh, I used some copper coins as boilerstones in my iron boiler. But in hindsight I think that was not wise: a small amount of copper strongly enhances iron rust. (Zinc would have been better!) But in a ss boiler that should be no problem.
You use an iron boiler? Wow, that would make life easy, finding steel is easy, finding stainless or copper on the other hand, not so easy.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

johnsparrow wrote:

You use an iron boiler? Wow, that would make life easy, finding steel is easy, finding stainless or copper on the other hand, not so easy.
I found an iron funnel when I cycled past a heap of crap iron, found someone who could solder a iron sheet over it so it became a boiler. The weak spot of iron is, that it rusts easily, so I needed to make it dry every time I used the boiler.
But on topic: I used some copper coins are clippings as boiling stones. Served two purposes: boiling stones and copper. And I had a copper condenser too. Just because it seemed common knowledge that copper is good for the taste of a distillate.

Recently I saw a table of a metalworking firm about corrosion. It showed how only a small amount of copper causes rapid corrosion of iron. So in retrospect I should have used iron or zinc boiling stones.
After my iron kettle served me well for some time it finally started to leak beyond repair and I had to finish a copper kettle.

Iron is considered an unsuitable material for stills by most forums.
Mainly because it rusts. But I have an iron scythe and as long as I do not leave it sitting in the wet grass but have it hanging in a dry shed, it stays clean and sharp. So I think a well treated iron still could last as long as a well treated copper still.
Some people are concerned about a bad taste. I do not know about that. As said: I had copper boiling stones and a copper condenser. Never had any complaints about bad taste.
There is a drawback: during distillation a black film of something is formed on the surface. Can easily be wiped away, gives no bad taste, never found out what it is.
About toxicity: the maximum intake of copper is much lower than that of iron (or zinc).

Now I have copper boilers and a mix of copper and stainless steel pipings. Recently I bought a glass still. It would be interesting to run it with different boiling stones: stone, copper, iron, zinc. And than taste the difference.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Kareltje wrote:
johnsparrow wrote:

I found an iron funnel when I cycled past a heap of crap iron, found someone who could solder a iron sheet over it so it became a boiler. The weak spot of iron is, that it rusts easily, so I needed to make it dry every time I used the boiler.
But on topic: I used some copper coins are clippings as boiling stones. Served two purposes: boiling stones and copper. And I had a copper condenser too. Just because it seemed common knowledge that copper is good for the taste of a distillate.

Recently I saw a table of a metalworking firm about corrosion. It showed how only a small amount of copper causes rapid corrosion of iron. So in retrospect I should have used iron or zinc boiling stones.
After my iron kettle served me well for some time it finally started to leak beyond repair and I had to finish a copper kettle.

Iron is considered an unsuitable material for stills by most forums.
Mainly because it rusts. But I have an iron scythe and as long as I do not leave it sitting in the wet grass but have it hanging in a dry shed, it stays clean and sharp. So I think a well treated iron still could last as long as a well treated copper still.
Some people are concerned about a bad taste. I do not know about that. As said: I had copper boiling stones and a copper condenser. Never had any complaints about bad taste.
There is a drawback: during distillation a black film of something is formed on the surface. Can easily be wiped away, gives no bad taste, never found out what it is.
About toxicity: the maximum intake of copper is much lower than that of iron (or zinc).

Now I have copper boilers and a mix of copper and stainless steel pipings. Recently I bought a glass still. It would be interesting to run it with different boiling stones: stone, copper, iron, zinc. And than taste the difference.
Fantastic, do you think an old water pressure tank would do the trick?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

johnsparrow ,Stainless steel and copper are the only suitable materials for boilers, don't be lead down the garden path by some of the garbage you read in some of the posts here.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Saltbush Bill wrote:johnsparrow ,Stainless steel and copper are the only suitable materials for boilers, don't be lead down the garden path by some of the garbage you read in some of the posts here.
OK, thanks.......... it can be a bit confusing for the new guy having conflicting ideas in the one place, who to listen to?