Inkbird ITC-106VH Manual Mode

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

saberx
Novice

Inkbird ITC-106VH Manual Mode

Post by saberx »

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

I have just bought the Inkbird ITC-106VH kit on Amazon and put it all together with a 5500 watt heating element. It works as described. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to work very well for boiling my wash. It takes forever in PID mode. The Inkbird website says that this model can also work in manual mode. Does anyone with this model Inkbird PID have it setup in manual mode and if so can you please tell me what setting(s) I need to change. I would like it to work like a kitchen stove. You turn the dial and the heat rises or by percentage of power. I do not want it to go on and off. I have looked everywhere on the internet, but information is practically non-existent and the instructions that come with this product are useless to a novice like me. Detailed instructions would be helpful as I am very ignorant in this field.

Thank you in advance :)
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Inkbird ITC-106VH Manual Mode

Post by Still Life »

A PID controller may not be ideal, I hate to tell you.
I am only going by what I've read here, but a PID will try to force a set temperature on a moving target.
In other words, the mash boiling point is a variable, changing figure which a PID is trying to set a fixed value to.
You can't have both.

See this: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=16635

You want a controller with a power (not temperature) control.

Hopefully others with more knowledge than I will chime in.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s a link to the owner’s manual: http://pmod79883.pic31.websiteonline.cn/upload/0bk4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It is not very intuitive in the manual how to set the manual control. Nor how manual operation works. I searched a homebrew website where this PiD was used and that discussion said that the PWM (pulse width modulation, which is the % of “on” portion of the duty cycle) is overridden by the temperature setting (thermocouple measurement), thereby limiting the boiling operation because of the temperature. The discussion said that the solution was to increase the temperature setting when running in manual mode, making the PWM operation unbounded by the boil temperature.

As previously stated, PiD’s are not the proper tool for running a still...unless they can be set in manual mode to regulate power input. The inkbird ITC-106 series of PiD’s are not really the best controls for this requirement. However, there are other PiD’s specifically designed for our utility. But, since you have the Inkbird...you’re forced to shove the square peg into the round hole....unless you get a better peg.

Sometimes a “bargain” is not the “best deal” if it doesn’t meet your needs.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Not the right tool for the job. The inkbird controllers work well for controlling temp in fermenters, but a super simple controller makes a much better boiler control.
Boiler control just needs to be a power controller. Ie how much power are you supplying.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
gamblor77
Novice

Post by gamblor77 »

saberx wrote:Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

I have just bought the Inkbird ITC-106VH kit on Amazon and put it all together with a 5500 watt heating element. It works as described. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to work very well for boiling my wash. It takes forever in PID mode. The Inkbird website says that this model can also work in manual mode. Does anyone with this model Inkbird PID have it setup in manual mode and if so can you please tell me what setting(s) I need to change. I would like it to work like a kitchen stove. You turn the dial and the heat rises or by percentage of power. I do not want it to go on and off. I have looked everywhere on the internet, but information is practically non-existent and the instructions that come with this product are useless to a novice like me. Detailed instructions would be helpful as I am very ignorant in this field.

Thank you in advance :)
I realize this response is probably WAY too late but this video explains all the settings and how to navigate the menus for the inkbird.

https://youtu.be/GruBmsVSnsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They have a ton of other videos showing the wiring and inkbird running a still etc.

P. S - There is a manual mode and it's under the OP menu I believe. It lets you output based on a % rather than a specify temperature or average.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

This sounds like equipment better suited to mashing rather than distilling, I think maybe you might be dedicating it to that purpose and look around for a controller :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin