star san and sugar wash ?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

circuit
Site Donor
Site Donor

star san and sugar wash ?

Post by circuit »

I need a little clarification I have Star San sanitizer I have read on several places to ignore the foam but where I have read this they always reference beer .
I'm not making beer .
I'm wanting to make a sugar wash, is Star San foam safe to ignore when making a sugar wash or is this something I should rinse out
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: star san and sugar wash ?

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

I have never used any type of Sanitation other than if I was using a container for a ferment, and I was worried about any type of contamination because of what that container was used as previously.

I would spray bleach in and then rinse out with water. Even new containers and used barrels I would just spray with bleach and rinse out then let dry then fill with whatever I was fermenting.

I have used lots of different ferment vessels with really minimal sanitization IE regular soap and water.

I think a lot of people worry way too much about sanitization when it is really not that big of a deal if you pitch enough yeast and have enough food for the yeast to run with it.

JME.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Ditch the slimy stuff, if scrub stuff down with soap and water, rinse really good, and sterilize it with a 3% mix of citric acid and water. Good to go!!!

Beer, wine, cider and other stuff is a whole different story. But I have to agree that people way over think sanitation, brewing and fermenting survived the dark ages.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Desvio wrote:brewing and fermenting survived the dark ages.

Awesome point!!!!!!!

:clap:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Somewhere in the last few weeks was a post about any StarSan residue resulting in cloudy likker . I don't know .
My stillhouse operates on relaxed rules . Vinegar flies are a stiller's worst enemy and should be defeated at all costs .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Truckinbutch wrote:Somewhere in the last few weeks was a post about any StarSan residue resulting in cloudy likker . I don't know .
My stillhouse operates on relaxed rules . Vinegar flies are a stiller's worst enemy and should be defeated at all costs .
TB, have you got a reference? Star-San is primarily phosphoric acid, which I use to reduce the ph if I'm making a sweet mash and the ph is too high. Backset isn't an option in a sweet mash. Haven't seen that problem myself with phosphoric acid.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Desvio wrote: But I have to agree that people way over think sanitation, brewing and fermenting survived the dark ages.
Yeah, but have you ever tasted some of that dark ages sh*t?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Somewhere in the last few weeks was a post about any StarSan residue resulting in cloudy likker . I don't know .
TB, have you got a reference? Star-San is primarily phosphoric acid, which I use to reduce the ph if I'm making a sweet mash and the ph is too high. Backset isn't an option in a sweet mash. Haven't seen that problem myself with phosphoric acid.
Sorry . I don't bookmark these things . Just remember . HDNB or Bushman might have been the author of the post . Don't accuse them on my account . Just a vague memory for me .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:
Desvio wrote: But I have to agree that people way over think sanitation, brewing and fermenting survived the dark ages.
I drank some of my Great Uncle Roy's shine . Does that count ?
Edit: He's the one that found the fresh drowned hog in the mash vat and salvaged the hog and the likker .
Last edited by Truckinbutch on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:

Please tell us how it tasted!!!
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Worm_Drippinz wrote:
cuginosgrizzo wrote:

Please tell us how it tasted!!!
well....if I recall correctly (a long time went by since then) exactly like sh*t would taste after you ate too much spoiled yogurth. Just a little more alcoholic. :mrgreen:
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

:thumbup: :lol: :clap: :thumbup:
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

(Please dont get mad people... we are joking around.)
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:
HAHAHA, probably similar to what I made back in high school...

Oh god those hangovers were bad..
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
circuit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by circuit »

so i take it that you guys are saying the foam is a bad thing and not to use star san when making a spirit .
:D
DrMalt
Novice

Post by DrMalt »

Star San is fine. Awesome even, don't worry about the residue but do drain the container. Beer, Wine, Cider, Sugarhead or anything else you want to taste like intended. Enjoy.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Use it all the time for a final rinse of my fermenters, hoses, and pumps. Brewers will store hoses full of sanitizer and dump it as they transfer beer. As mentioned above its simply a weak acid.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I wash, rinse with water then spray starsan on it and let air dry. That’s everything, ferment buckets, still parts, everything.

As said, it’s acid and kills stuff, never had any mold on anything after spraying with starsan.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

1st hand experience here, dont fear the foam for sugar washes. I often dont bother sanitizing for whiskies and rums because bugs tasye good and add complexity. But the cleaner a sugar wash, the cleaner the neutral, so I like to go all out sanitary for sugar washes. Never seen any defects, particularly cloudy neutral (?) From starsan.
Wino2Distill
Novice

Post by Wino2Distill »

Desvio wrote:Ditch the slimy stuff, if scrub stuff down with soap and water, rinse really good, and sterilize it with a 3% mix of citric acid and water. Good to go!!!

Beer, wine, cider and other stuff is a whole different story. But I have to agree that people way over think sanitation, brewing and fermenting survived the dark ages.
Citric acid is not a sterilizing agent.
Starting out with an Essential Pro Series II - 8 Gal Kettle
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Been distilling for a while now...never have used soap or any other fancy stuff to sterilize things....never really had any problems with infections and such. Bit of real hot water is about as good as it gets.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

In my fermenters anything stuck in there gets soaked in water with some baking soda for about 10 mins. A soft bristle brush then easily knocks it off, then a power wash. No problems. It's a good idea to choose fermenters without any little nooks and crevices that can trap bacteria. And don't use anything to scrub them out that could scratch or score them up. A little star san never hurt anyone either.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063