The rum adventure is finally done.

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

The rum adventure is finally done.

Post by Pesty »

Been on a rum kick for almost 2 years now and I can finally say it’s all done.

I promised a good friend a couple years back I’d make him some rum.. before I could give him some he moved away. Now I’m heading up to see him for turkey day with 5 gallons of finished product. He’ll have to wait for it to age on oak a bit but it’ll be worth the wait.

In the early days my boiler was 3.5 gallons so had to do multiple runs for a final product. Rather than go the slow and long route, i just started collecting stripped low wines and got to building an 8 gallon boiler with double thumpers. That project took way longer than anticipated, mostly from sourcing parts as cheaply as possible. I was able to get that setup fully functional over the last couple weeks and run off the last of the fermentables. Today was the day to run off all my low wines with a single thumper and added to the collection of ready for blending jars.

2 years of work is sitting on the table in jars and I gotta say it feels really good to sit back and know that I made all that.

Time to get back to whiskey, need to make next years Christmas presents.
Antler24
Trainee

Re: The rum adventure is finally done.

Post by Antler24 »

Wow 5 gallons. Lucky friend!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there