VODKA RECIPE GRAIN/ARTIFICIAL ENZYMES

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guital91
Novice

VODKA RECIPE GRAIN/ARTIFICIAL ENZYMES

Post by Guital91 »

HI EVERYONE FROM ITALY!
With friends I am starting a project that takes advantage of the excellence of the raw materials that we have in our area. We want to create a quality vodka. We worked with the barley malt to make a recipe for vodka and single malts. Now we would like to start a recipe with a kind of raw unmalted wheat and use only artificial enzymes. anyone would be interested in helping us? :angel: :angel: :angel:
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: VODKA RECIPE GRAIN/ARTIFICIAL ENZYMES

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Ciao Guido,

if you are interested in making vodka, which is by definition a flavourless spirit, are you sure you want to use some specialty grains? You are not going to make any use of the special taste of these grains. You are going anyway to try to strip any flavor from your final product.

Of course unless you mean to go legal and sell your product, then stating that it is made out of some bio Italian grain might give you some marketing handles.

If you want to make a product out of unmalted grains, have a read in the T&T section ad Booner's casual all corn (and use your grain instead):

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=51458

Regarding the still, you are going to need a reflux still to produce vodka. Are you a make or buy guy?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You asked about enzymes ....this link will take you to a trusted supplier. He also has a couple of tutorials on u tube of how to use them if that is of any help to you.
http://www.enzymash.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I'm sure others will be along soon with more information.
Guital91
Novice

Post by Guital91 »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:Ciao Guido,

if you are interested in making vodka, which is by definition a flavourless spirit, are you sure you want to use some specialty grains? You are not going to make any use of the special taste of these grains. You are going anyway to try to strip any flavor from your final product.

Of course unless you mean to go legal and sell your product, then stating that it is made out of some bio Italian grain might give you some marketing handles.

If you want to make a product out of unmalted grains, have a read in the T&T section ad Booner's casual all corn (and use your grain instead):

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=51458

Regarding the still, you are going to need a reflux still to produce vodka. Are you a make or buy guy?
Thank you man!

European law dictates that the vodka is made from agricultural ethyl alcohol with alcohol content not less than 96 degrees, with limits for impurities and without organoleptic characteristics. Is it possible to give a little note of flavor only through the raw material used in the mash and must not have a predominant flavour.
We are convinced that the raw material (tea, water) with which you made the vodka is very important. both in terms of quality, both in terms of marketing. We want to try and make a mash with a particular antique corn but without malt! Thanks for the links, very well explained! in your opinion at the beginning of the mash is important split grains with the mill even with this type of work? Thank you!!!
Guital91
Novice

Post by Guital91 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:You asked about enzymes ....this link will take you to a trusted supplier. He also has a couple of tutorials on u tube of how to use them if that is of any help to you.
http://www.enzymash.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I'm sure others will be along soon with more information.
Hello!! Thanks for the quick reply! I've seen that site seems to me, are reliable, the only problem when buying enzymes from america are shipping charges! and Europe is very hard to find them, on the contrary, those fluids is almost impossible to find them ... anyhow buy enzymes from america is more convenient than buying lots of good malt here and perhaps even in terms of conversion result is better ... maybe... :mrgreen:
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Guital91 wrote: We want to try and make a mash with a particular antique corn but without malt! Thanks for the links, very well explained! in your opinion at the beginning of the mash is important split grains with the mill even with this type of work?
When you are using unmalted grains it is vital that they are milled and cooked in order to gelatinize the starches that they carry, and make them available to the enzymes, in order to become simpler sugars fermentable by the yeasts. You coud try to cook whole grain but it would take much longer and the result wuold not be the same in terms of yield, since you would not expose the starches. I had good results with polenta flour. But I use malted barley as a source of enzymes, and I target a flavourful drink, bourbon.

BTW: I am curious about which antique corn you wanna use? My favourite corn comes from Storo (BS): it has unrivaled taste IMO.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> Now we would like to start a recipe with a kind of raw unmalted wheat and use only artificial enzymes.

One of my favorite products is a vodka made from unmalted, soft white wheat. As mentioned above, follow Booner's protocol and simply substitute the grain of your choice.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Yes indeed follow Booners method however you may also like to take in to account the following chart.
Different grains will gelatinise at different temps so for wheat for example you do not have to go as high as you do with corn/maize.

Use the raw material that is available to you.

Gel temps.jpg
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

greggn wrote:One of my favorite products is a vodka made from unmalted, soft white wheat.
+1
greggn wrote:As mentioned above, follow Booner's protocol and simply substitute the grain of your choice.
+1
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i make vodka from 100% wheat. it's easy since there is not as much flavour there to start with.
grind fine
use 280g of grain per litre of water
htl as directed (90 minutes at 185*F)
Gl as directed (90 minutes at 150*)
cool asap to 110*
pitch at 110*F, by the time it cools at regular room, it will be done.
4 times through a pot or twice through 2 plates and it will be super clean.

adding 10-20% malt will improve the body.

PM swedish pride, he has a link to a polish enzyme supply at a great price. maybe he will share the link.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

HDNB, have you tried the Sebflo TL in place of the GL?

My reading is that it is better designed for cereal grains such as wheat.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Teddysad wrote:HDNB, have you tried the Sebflo TL in place of the GL?...My reading is that it is better designed for cereal grains such as wheat.
Sebflo TL is a gluconase enzyme. It is for reducing the beta-glucans typical in rye malt and to some extent, wheat malt.

Sebamyl GL is an amylase enzyme for converting starches to sugars.

So, it is not a question to use one in place of the other. You can use the TL to break up the syrupy stickiness from rye or large wheat grainbills. But, you still need to use the GL to saccharify the malts.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> So, it is not a question to use one in place of the other. You can use the TL to break up the syrupy stickiness from rye or large wheat grainbills. But, you still need to use the GL to saccharify the malts.

+1

FWIW, I've found that Sebflo TL is not necessary with unmalted wheats. I don't use it at all with soft white wheat but have gained a very modest increase in OG when used with hard red wheat ... but I'm not convinced that the modest gains are worth the expense of the enzyme itself. I use it, however, because I have it for rye mashes and it *is* necessary for rye (unless you have a tendency for self-loathing).

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

greggn wrote:> So, it is not a question to use one in place of the other. You can use the TL to break up the syrupy stickiness from rye or large wheat grainbills. But, you still need to use the GL to saccharify the malts.

+1

FWIW, I've found that Sebflo TL is not necessary with unmalted wheats. I don't use it at all with soft white wheat but have gained a very modest increase in OG when used with hard red wheat ... but I'm not convinced that the modest gains are worth the expense of the enzyme itself. I use it, however, because I have it for rye mashes and it *is* necessary for rye (unless you have a tendency for self-loathing).
+1
i use TL on rye as directed and add a 1/3 dose to my other grain bills along with GL as it does help pick up a few points on the gravity stick .002-.004 and reduces viscosity
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Guital91
Novice

Post by Guital91 »

:egeek:
Last edited by Guital91 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guital91
Novice

Post by Guital91 »

still_stirrin wrote:
Teddysad wrote:HDNB, have you tried the Sebflo TL in place of the GL?...My reading is that it is better designed for cereal grains such as wheat.
Sebflo TL is a gluconase enzyme. It is for reducing the beta-glucans typical in rye malt and to some extent, wheat malt.

Sebamyl GL is an amylase enzyme for converting starches to sugars.

So, it is not a question to use one in place of the other. You can use the TL to break up the syrupy stickiness from rye or large wheat grainbills. But, you still need to use the GL to saccharify the malts.
ss
in the absence of glucoamylase how do you convert the dextrins into fermentable sugars?
Guital91
Novice

Post by Guital91 »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:
Guital91 wrote: We want to try and make a mash with a particular antique corn but without malt! Thanks for the links, very well explained! in your opinion at the beginning of the mash is important split grains with the mill even with this type of work?
When you are using unmalted grains it is vital that they are milled and cooked in order to gelatinize the starches that they carry, and make them available to the enzymes, in order to become simpler sugars fermentable by the yeasts. You coud try to cook whole grain but it would take much longer and the result wuold not be the same in terms of yield, since you would not expose the starches. I had good results with polenta flour. But I use malted barley as a source of enzymes, and I target a flavourful drink, bourbon.

BTW: I am curious about which antique corn you wanna use? My favourite corn comes from Storo (BS): it has unrivaled taste IMO.
Sorry for the late reply!!! I wrong= antique cereal, there are some very good quality cereal bio but now we haven't decided which of the 4-5 use near here! I know Storo's Corn! :D :D
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

>I’m hoping someone can point out where I’m going wrong with my wheat vodka.
>My last attempt brought 24 litres of water to 90C, added 6kg of flaked wheat in a brew bag, covered and let sit for 60 minutes

Ditch the bag and stir frequently.

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Are you dosing your Alpha to water while still cold?
And also adding grain while still cold? Then bringing to temp?

What kind of milled coarseness?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.