Arak (or an Arak like drink)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pjeterschornstein
Novice

Arak (or an Arak like drink)

Post by pjeterschornstein »

Hey all!
I've seen in all the recipes that to make Arak you need to make grape Must but then you distill it in a pot still three times.
Won't that make it just a natural that you can equally achieve with a plain sugar wash? or maybe half sugar half grapes.
Have anybody tried that before I give it a go?
I am not looking for authenticity but I am asking about the difference in flavor. I guess there is but is it a significant one?
Thanks!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Arak (or an Arak like drink)

Post by Saltbush Bill »

pjeterschornstein wrote:Won't that make it just a natural that you can equally achieve with a plain sugar wash? or maybe half sugar half grapes.
If it was that easy to make neutral with a pot still, people would'nt go to the trouble of making reflux stills.
I don't think your are really understanding the processes involved.
Short answer is there shouldn't be a significant difference in flavor.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Arak (or an Arak like drink)

Post by NZChris »

pjeterschornstein wrote:I am not looking for authenticity but I am asking about the difference in flavor. I guess there is but is it a significant one?
It's up to the distiller. The significant cuts influencing the intensity of the grape flavors would be made on the first two distillations. The third run is to add the anise and would miss some late flavors, but not a lot.