bokakob proper set up

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chris mckeage
Novice

bokakob proper set up

Post by chris mckeage »

Hello all. I have a new to me Bokakob and have seen 3 different ways for them to be set up??? ONE: the small drain which comes from between the two internal baffels is used to drain the spirits. TWO: the small line just mentioned drains into the inlet of the long tube condenser. THREE: the small drain mentioned is closed off after pulling out the methanol and the vapor then just flows to the long tube condenser. Which is correct or do all three setups work fine? Thanks for the help. Chris
zapata
Distiller

Re: bokakob proper set up

Post by zapata »

I'm not sure, but think you are describing 3 different options.
1. Is the original. There was no condenser other than the coil. The liquid spirits taken off are very hot.

2. Adds a liebig "condenser" which isnt really used for condensing but for cooling the very hot but already liquid spirits. This does not need to be long, 8-12 inches will do. An alternative would be a long copper tube after the valve that just cools the liquid passively. Operation is identical to #1, just cooler safer product.

3. I think you are describing a liquid management / vapor management hybrid. In this case there is a valved split in the vapor stream below the plates which leads to a 2nd condenser (or 3rd if the liquid takeoff also has a liebig).

Ive run all 3. #1 was alright, but definitely benefits from the addition of #2. Without that liebig chiller the product is just degrees away from boiling which poses measurement issues as well as safety issues from how fast it evaporates. Adding #3 to #2 would be my preference as it makes the heart run steadier without constantly adjusting the liquid valve to maintain a steady reflux rate which would otherwise reduce as the run progresses. Admittedly I like building things and am not averse to complicated stills or buying materials.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

i run type 2 am a new distiller im doing my first proper whiskey run this weekend.i usually only drink neutral/vodka which is awsome i love it different ferments= different flavours tomato has more of a musk and cornflake is sweet with a little grain tint to it.ive only been refluxing so cant really comment on it as a pot still yet but as i said ive got 200ltr to run this weekend so hopefully have a good amount for aging an sipping.im using odins origional cornflake whiskey in the tried and true,its taken alot longer than expected but hopefully worth it.
chris mckeage
Novice

Post by chris mckeage »

Thanks for the feed back, Not sure how you would combine process 2 and 3. They require different plumbing. 2 runs liquid into the long tube condenser and 3 runs only vapor into the long tube condenser.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Well if it is a boka / VM hybrid, then the liquid takeoff can have the liebig chiller on it just like #2, while the VM side is completely separate. Basically just picture #2, but set it on top of a VM head instead of directly on the column.

Unless you were ddscribing something all together different.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Chris.. a picture of your setup would help in guiding how to answer your questions..

Boka's are LM setup, not VM , both are operated differently.. the answer provided so far are confusing the responds you are asking for..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Im finding it impossible to upload pics for some reason so I just dug up some I can link to.
#1 classic boka:
http://homedistiller.org/image/mini_explained.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

#2 adds a 16" liquid cooling liebig:
http://jbrase.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Coppe ... YLEj-M.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

#3 adds a vm take off into standard boka head (though I keep my VM separate and below my LM boka takeoff so it can be modular.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... 807e59e80f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Is that similar to what you were talking about for #3?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

zapata wrote:Im finding it impossible to upload pics for some reason so I just dug up some I can link to.
#1 classic boka:
http://homedistiller.org/image/mini_explained.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The thermowell is not in the correct place for a Bokakob designed still.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I think I know what you mean, but that is debateable. For one I'm pretty sure that is not only a bokakob designed still, but boka built. As in that is/was his personal still.

Now I've never run a mini, but on a larger column I have seen a lot of utility from a similarly placed thermowell. 1/3 down the column so you can react before rising temps hit the head rather than just reading temps at the takeoff. Which I assume is where you would say is the proper location?