temp monitoring

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chris mckeage
Novice

temp monitoring

Post by chris mckeage »

I understand monitoing temp is the best way to know what your pulling off the still. My question is that my boka still has a PID controller for the elec heating element and I put in a set point and the controller modulates the elec heat to maintain the temp. the thermocouple is located between the two baffels at the top. it trys to remain constant due to the PID controller. Where do you monitor the CHANGING heat reading that indicates the different products coming off the still? Thanks Chris
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: temp monitoring

Post by nuntius01 »

your gonna want to move this question from the welcome section. but, dont really on temp reading to tell when to make cuts.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: temp monitoring

Post by StillerBoy »

Your in the right area to post the question..

As I understand your post, you want to control the stilling operation with a PID.. it is the wrong tool to use, and the temperatures are not controlled but managed..

You will need to use a SSR (solid state rely)to manage the boiler.. distillation is a balance between power input, take off rate, and condenser cool-age (water flow rate)..

The boiler power is managed by the amount of power input by amp/wattage used.. at startup, full power, and it is reduced once the temp is reached..

In refluxing mode the temp is managed by the take off rate.. no take off, the temp should hold stable at about 171.5F.. and as you open the take off valve, the temp will raise.. the rate will depend on what abv percentage you are looking for.. a take off rate of a few drops per second will give 95% abv.. a temp of 172.5 - 173F , will give about 92 -93%, and so on from there..

To learn how to dial your unit, you will need to play around with power input, take off rate, and water flow to the condenser.. I work my unit for a water temp of 90F at the output side..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein