Electric induction hob recommendations

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevetuk
Novice

Electric induction hob recommendations

Post by stevetuk »

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a suitable electric induction hob for a 60L pot (approx 56x56cm base on pot)?
It'll need to be 3Kw+ and I was wondering: is multiple hobs a good thing or a bad thing, i.e. will they heat the pot unevenly or won't it matter? Also, if the base of the pot extends over the edge of the plate slightly, I'm guessing that's unsafe, right?

Based in the UK if that helps too :)

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Electric induction hob recommendations

Post by Corsaire »

Hi, your welcome post mentions you'll be using a copper pot still. As far as I know a copper pot doesn't work on induction, unless you use some intermediate metal base. Or do you have a stainless boiler?
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

Hi there, I was going to use a stainless steel plate, but I don't want to balance a 60L pot on that on top of an induction hob if the hob is too small, and also worry that with the hob Kw and then factoring the plate in, it would all take hours and hours to heat...

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way of using electric (induction rather than burners) to heat the boiler instead of gas, just to improve safety that bit more. Alternatively, I'd go with an electric burner and sit the pot directly on that if need be but induction preferred.
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way of using electric to heat the boiler instead of gas, for safety reasons.

sure is, fit a 3kw heating element in your boiler,
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You could always use an internal heating element. If you cut in and solder a ferrule to the boiler, it would be easy to add the heating element. And since it is a copper pot, soldering is relatively easy to do...just get the correct solder and flux and modify the boiler.

In fact, you could add 2 elements to increase the element surface area in contact with the wash, thereby effectively reducing the watt density of your heat input minimizing the liklihood of scorching. Also, it would give you plenty of power to heat up the wash quickly without overloading any one of your circuits.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

not that ive searched exhaustively but the biggest hot plate ive seen is 1800w. and on 60L it would work but wont be fast...or even quick for that matter.
internal seems a better option and less expense too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
stevetuk
Novice

Post by stevetuk »

While I was looking, I came across commercial electric griddles/hotplates that go up from 3Kw (up to 7Kw in some cases): are those any good if the griddle area was large enough? It's a flat bed at least. I'll post a link to what I mean if that's permitted (but won't now in case it isn't).
Cheers for the advice though, I'll look into a DIY internal element (or two) if there's no external electric option.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

i brought a 3kw and 4kw from ebay used a cheap step drill bit and made my own mount and soldered it to my keg,ive had no issues with it apart from the electricity in the house not being rated high enough to run 4kw flat out.if i do a run and have the cooker going then the cooker shuts down because the element will draw alot of electricity.do you have a back garden or a shed or anywhere to hide outside (i use a halfords gazeebo with sides) my reflux column works and fits perfectly underneath a couple inches clearence and can use the sides to hold the condenser water pipes.