Low Proof and sweet Run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LeeEngland
Novice

Low Proof and sweet Run

Post by LeeEngland »

Hi

I have just done my first run and I used the still spirits turbo yeast and carbon. I left it to ferment for 7 days like it said on the packet. I ran it through the still last night and the finish product taste sweet and the % volume is reading 30% any reasons why as I was expecting 80%. Could some sugar not have fermented and therefore the sugar is in my final product which is also throughing out my hyprimometer reading?
zapata
Distiller

Re: Low Proof and sweet Run

Post by zapata »

Sugar is a non volatile solid so won't distill over.
Would need to know details on your still to know whats going on, but if it's a pot still 30% is to be expected. These are called low wines and need to be run again (what we call a spirit run).
Gotta warn you, very few here think highly of turbos and pretty much everyone will tell you that you can get netter results from recipies in the tried and true section.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Zap is right, we have to know the recipe - particulary the amunt of sugar and the wash volume. Gravity readings also help.

Then we need to know what still you are running and what you did in as much detail as possible.

At first sight it does sound as though you have not fermented all the sugar, but we shall see ! :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

And “how much wash” did you run, as well as “how much spirit” did you collect?

You’ve not given enough detail to know whether you’re “in the ball park”, “in the parking lot (foul ball)”, or “over the fence”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K