Iodized Salt

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

purp09
Novice

Iodized Salt

Post by purp09 »

I just distilled my first batch using a water distiller with a sugar wash. Since the water distiller isn't the most efficient method, I decided to run it through a second time and added a little salt which I had read about in other posts. I now realize the salt I used was iodized rather than the non iodized version specified in the other posts. Why do they call for non iodized salt and what happens if I use iodized salt? Is it safe to drink?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Iodized Salt

Post by acfixer69 »

Im not familiar with your water distiller but in my option the plastics in the distiller is more dangerous then the bit of iodine in the salt. Read up the rules we live by particularly rule 8. If yours is up to them post it up and we will walk about it.

AC
purp09
Novice

Post by purp09 »

It's supposed to be stainless steel. Here's a link https://www.walmart.com/ip/CO-Z-White-W ... /112091651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

First it has a ss tank but that's not enough can obviously see distillate exits thru plastic its your health. Don't use it here a newbe could easily think is OK.

AC
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

purp09 wrote:added a little salt which I had read about in other posts.
Could you post where you have read about salt being used during distillation..

As for the unit you have, it's for distilling water, not alcohol vapours.. the high alcohol vapours will dissolve the plastic which comes in contact with.. it is not advise-able to use that unit..
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
purp09
Novice

Post by purp09 »

Newbees like me. Yeah. there is a nylon/rubber looking elbow at the end of the stainless steel piping. I'll dump this batch. Luckily the batches are not very big anyway. I'll have to research to see if there's any suggested mods to make it more usable.
purp09
Novice

Post by purp09 »

I saw info about adding salt on the web site here: http://homedistiller.org/distill/dtw/salt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
or you can do a search for iodized salt within the forum
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I think salt in distillation is an example of last generation's "life hacks". You know like you can clean windows with a kiwi! If you cant find a spoon you can eat soup with a wrench! If you use spackle to fix holes in the wall instead of toothpaste, you're doing it wrong! Sure you CAN add salt, but there doesnt seem to be a good reason why (although yes I've read the supposed reasons, they just dont actually make sense).
purp09
Novice

Post by purp09 »

It sounded reasonable to me. Adding salt to water would increases the boiling temperature of the water. The alcohol would still boil at the same temperature. With a bigger temperature difference it should be easier to separate especially with the limited system I have.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

purp09 wrote:It sounded reasonable to me. Adding salt to water would increases the boiling temperature of the water. The alcohol would still boil at the same temperature. With a bigger temperature difference it should be easier to separate especially with the limited system I have.
It sound logical but the salt will but part of the solution and not be part of any separation. And in a gallon how much good stuff are you expecting. 2-3 ozs. salts addition if you believed helped at all would be what?

AC
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Really the vaporization gap between alcohol and water is plenty wide already if you're not in a big hurry. Just my view.
spiritually taxed circa 1791