2nd distillation, used a new condenser, strange results

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

glen65
Novice

2nd distillation, used a new condenser, strange results

Post by glen65 »

So my previous distillations have been with a stainless steel pot, a copper column and a copper worm in a bucket. I never got more than 120 proof out of it. I decided to try doing a second distillation of my previous spirit using the same steel pot and column but I made a new Liebig condenser. I tried it out the day before making distilled water and it worked great. Yesterday, I redistilled some of my spirits. I started with 3 liters of 100 proof spirit. I added 500 ml of water that dropped it to 80 proof and put it in the still.

I collected 200 ml of heads at 170 proof. After that I collected 1.5 liters of spirit that ranged from 160 proof down to 150 proof. At that time, it was getting late and the output slowed down considerably. Then I dropped my Proof/Tralle Alcoholmeter, broke it and decided to stop collecting. I was smelling it and tasting it as it went along and it was really much better, so Im sold on redistilling.

Now, I have some questions…

1. Is starting with 3 liters of 100 proof and redistilling to 2 liters of 155-ish proof good for a second distillation?
2. Should I have expected more?
3. As the distilling went on, noticed some brown or almost dark copper colored residue coming out of my condenser. Considering that I ran it pretty hard the day before making distilled water, I would have thought that it would wash out anything left over from my soldering.When I touched it, it wasn’t hard like copper or solder residue. It basically crushed/disintegrated with the slightest touch. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? What could it be and is it bad?

Thanks all for my long winded post!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: 2nd distillation, used a new condenser, strange results

Post by OtisT »

glen65 wrote:3. As the distilling went on, noticed some brown or almost dark copper colored residue coming out of my condenser. Considering that I ran it pretty hard the day before making distilled water, I would have thought that it would wash out anything left over from my soldering.When I touched it, it wasn’t hard like copper or solder residue. It basically crushed/disintegrated with the slightest touch. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? What could it be and is it bad?
Hi Glen. I'll leave 1 and 2 for someone smarter. I am guessing this depends on your equipment and what you want to make. If it smells and tastes good, then it's good, and you will be diluting it down anyway for aging.

On the particles, I believe it is common and that these are not leftovers from soldering (though I cant speak for your specific still.) I've read about many others with the same, and I get it too. I believe it is fusel oil (sp?). I usually get a small bit up front, likely leftovers from my previous run, then it's clear until I get into/near the bottoms when it picks up again until the end of the run. I use a small SS strainer over my collection jar with a small bit of paper towel that picks up that stuff. If it gets too mucky, I simply swap out the bit of paper towel. Collecting in the towel helps keep your jars cleaner too, requiring a lot less rinsing when you are done.

Otis
Attachments
Strainer for collection
Strainer for collection
Last edited by OtisT on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

1&2, you get what you get, see Kiwistiller's novice guide to cuts for the best beginner guide I know of.

3) You should start with a vinegar run, then do a sacrificial alcohol run which should be thrown out because it contains toxins from flux and machine oils.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Sounds OK to me. I run a 15.5 pot still and a liebig with 5500/240 power. My strip usually ends up between 110 - 120 proof and my spirit run around 145-150 ish. I usually end up around 125-135 ish after cuts. Sounds like your mash may not have finished dry as it could.

BG
glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

Thanks all. I'm really impressed with the smell (lack of) and taste a second distillation give is. I'm glad that it isn't ruined by the sediment. How often should I do a cleaning run?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

glen65 wrote:How often should I do a cleaning run?
Any time you re-solder something, it is a must.

Other than that, it depends, IMHO. First, I do typically rinse the still after use, unless I am doing back to back runs. If you are running a neutral or something that is delicate, you may want to clean everything first if it’s been a while, so it does not pick up unintended flavors/smells. I mostly run AGs and rums, and I don’t clean often. consider it “seasoning”, like a good cast iron frying pan.

I do clean my copper mesh packing more frequently, because I pull it out between runs to dry, so it gets a mild acid cleaning dip before drying. I also clean my sight glass after most uses, for obvious reasons.

These are just my preferences.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'd guess It's build residue, and I would toss it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm guessing cleaning runs weren't done, and I would toss it too.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Always filter your spirit, coffee filters work wonders.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

aircarbonarc wrote:Always filter your spirit, coffee filters work wonders.
I have a Britta that I run it through at least 3 times.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Sigh. Britta doesn't make alcohol safe filters.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

glen65 wrote:
aircarbonarc wrote:Always filter your spirit, coffee filters work wonders.
I have a Britta that I run it through at least 3 times.
Brita are made of plastic. I got ok results using a high quality French press, all glass and stainless. A couple tablespoons of charcoal, stirred it up a bit and strained it, ran it through coffee filters a couple of times to get the dust out. It took forever but worked great. Best to just use a couple coffee filters while doing the spirit run.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

NZChris wrote:I'm guessing cleaning runs weren't done, and I would toss it too.
No answer too this question did you do a sacrificial run after your modification?
glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

No, cleaning run but made distilled water before the spirit run.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

glen65 wrote:No, cleaning run but made distilled water before the spirit run.
Distilled water doesn't clean off flux, which is toxic. Alcohol does.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

Good info... thanks. So before I toss it, would it help to dilute it and run it through again to make sure it is cleaned or was that run enough to clean it?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

glen65 wrote:Good info... thanks. So before I toss it, would it help to dilute it and run it through again to make sure it is cleaned or was that run enough to clean it?
No more than it would work to use "already used" toilet paper to wipe your butt. Oh what a mess it would be!

Using contaminated spirit to "clean" your still is not the way to do it. Dump the crap and use fresh sacrificial alcohol for the cleaning run. The cleaning protocol thread is your "go to".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

Learning a lot on here! I'll check out that thread too and don't worry, I won't reuse the toilet paper! LOL
Thanks again.
glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

So just a quick update and more to come but first some advice...

LISTEN TO WHAT THE EXPERIENCED USERS ON HERE TELL YOU! I had no clue about doing a true cleaning run until I hit this problem and I learned so much from this.

Now to the update, I ran a 50/50 vinegar/water through the entire system and didn't turn the condenser on so it was blowing out a heavy steam of the solution. I then got a brush and stuck it inside my column. It has so much crud and flux, it was unbelievable! Obviously, I need to work on my soldering skills. Yesterday and into today, I had it soaking in straight vinegar and cleaned it periodically. I'm still amazed at the amount of flux that kept coming out every time I pushed a rag into the column.

Now, it seems to be very clean and as instructed by others, I will be doing a sacrificial alcohol run this weekend. Hopefully I won't see any residue that I've described in my initial post. I'll also run it through a white coffee filter as it comes out of the condenser just to be extra sure. I will post my results.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help. Also, I dumped the last batch. Don't want to get sick!
glen65
Novice

Post by glen65 »

Wanted to update everyone on the latest. As advised, I did a sacrificial cleaning run today and put a white paper towel over my collection jar. It came out fine and there was no more residue on the paper towel. So now I can declare it officially clean. Thanks all for your input and help.