Noob Question: Vinegar Run - Ketchup??

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Noob Question: Vinegar Run - Ketchup??

Post by TDick »

2 N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: b questions.
It has been about 7-8 weeks since I did a vinegar run on my 5 gallon pot and thumper, and it's been sitting dry.
Should I do another vinegar run. Planning on doing a water and then sacrificial run, but didn't know whether to run the vinegar again.

Also, watching "That Show", Mark & Digger (only ones I give much credit to, used ketchup to clean up their still. Said it was THE best thing to use.
Just wondering if it would be good to add a $1.50 bottle of ketchup to the vinegar run?
:mrgreen:
Bushman
Admin

Re: Noob Question: Vinegar Run - Ketchup??

Post by Bushman »

I don't think it's necessary, when I am traveling for extended periods of time I don't have a chance to do a run but I don't feel a need to clean my still. Between runs I cover both ends to protect and keep it from getting dirty as it is stored in my outbuilding.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Just stick with the one vinegar run and then do your sacrificial run. No need to do another vinegar run. I also would probably not worry about running ketchup through your still. The ingredients in most ketchups are vinegar salt sugar tomato paste Etc. Some of them even include garlic and such. The vinegar might help if you don't have any distilled white vinegar and there's probably some acidity from the tomatoes but you don't need any of that nonsense. Just do the one vinegar run and then your sacrificial run and you'll be fine.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

What SHE said....
Thanks Guys!!!!
Attachments
madea hallelujer.gif
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

unless you see alot of green on your copper your good to go
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917