Lacto infection or yeast?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gaffatron
Novice

Lacto infection or yeast?

Post by Gaffatron »

hi all,

i have a white film on top of my rye (UJSSM) mash, it has been about 3 weeks since i done my last stripping run and i am yet to top back up with water and sugar.

does it look like an infection or just yeast? it doesn't have a smell at all.

Please note in the picture i had only just stirred it there were a few bubbles but not overly big
Attachments
IMG_3393.JPG
IMG_3392.JPG
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lacto infection or yeast?

Post by fizzix »

What type of yeast? All I'm getting at is it wasn't a top fermenter, right?
Gaffatron
Novice

Post by Gaffatron »

i used bakers yeast, ''top fermenter''?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Some ale yeasts ferment on top of the mash/wash. But even bakers will have yeast "rafts" on top.
It doesn't look like any pellicle infection I've seen, but I'm pretty new to this so wait for the real experts.
Last edited by fizzix on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr_canak
Novice

Post by dr_canak »

I'm confused. This is what is growing *after* a stripping run? No yeast is going to survive that, and the ABV should be high enough after a stripping run to prevent this. Something is amiss.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Yeah I took that as the stripping being on the last generation, and this being the latest generation.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

dr_canuk, I think this is what is left in the fermenter after pulling the UJ out to run. He’s asking if it is good to add more water and sugar for the next generation...given that it’s been standing unattended for a few weeks.

To me, the mucky looking scum looks like protein scum that often boils up in an all grain mash. But I usually boil my wort, so I ladle as much of it off the top and the rest “breaks” and fall back into the kettle. It usually left behind in the kettle when I draw off the wort to the fermenter.

But when fermenting on the grain, like a UJ, the protein could and would float to the top, especially when the liquid level is low in the fermenter.

But I agree...it does not look like a lactobacteria pellicle.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Gaffatron
Novice

Post by Gaffatron »

still_stirrin, you are correct sorry, this is my fermenter after i have done my stripping runs i am ready too add more sugar and water to ferment a new generation,

in you opinion, should i remove all and start again or try and strain out the white material and go again?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Gaffatron wrote:...in you opinion, should i remove all and start again or try and strain out the white material and go again?
I think I’d pull a little of the “semi-cleared” liquid off the top if you can. Chances are it is pretty sour, so it will lower the pH in your next sugar wash. Sometimes that can cause a yeast stall if it crashes too hard too fast.

If you can’t get any of it out, then stir it up good and add your sugar and water. Pay attention to the temperature however, and don’t denature any yeast in the trub. Keep the sugar water temperature below 105*F and you’ll be fine.

Be sure to aerate the restart good so the yeast can bud and regenerate. I think you’ll be OK.

Question for you....do you ferment under airlock? I always do but I know some don’t. With a bucket like that, it could start to collect all kinds of critters in it if you don’t, especially with multi-generational ferments like the UJJSM. Just a thought...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Gaffatron
Novice

Post by Gaffatron »

thanks for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it.

Its a 55 gallon drum that has a rubber seal i do it up tight and back it off so it can only just breath but not let anything in, my corn UJSSM drum has an airlock... perhaps i should install one on my rye drum seeing i haven't had any trouble with the other.

once again thanks.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

are those just a bunch of little white grains? bigger than sand, smaller than rice?

can't really tell from the photo but it just looks like what someone once told me was the germ of the corn. floating on top...perfectly normal.

rye doesn't have that same size germ in it, so you won't see it there.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

That's just solids. You're quite fine.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Gaffatron
Novice

Post by Gaffatron »

thanks all