Maximum Proof for consumption

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

navan4
Swill Maker

Maximum Proof for consumption

Post by navan4 »

I normally drink my neutrals and spirits straight 40-42% ABV, liqueurs between 30-35% ABV, but of course most people will mix their drinks and lower this, but in the past, every year i would purchase Arak and Absynthe, the first would be Kefraya at 50% ABV and the latter 45%, but some Absynthe go up to 70% ABV.
Now I'm thinking of doing some Arak again and I think 50% is a maximum in my book for a safe consumption.

Do others agree with this, just so that everyone knows what is a safe guideline for consumption.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Maximum Proof for consumption

Post by Bushman »

There are other factors involved like the volume consumed. Here is an old thread that addresses the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8998
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I think you will find a variation in what most would concider safe
For me , I find its more of an uncomfortable upper limit .
Anything above 40% AVB I find not pleasant acompanied by more burn and numbing of the mouth and throat . This alone suggests to me that its not going to be good for me .... let alone pleasurable .

I don’t mind the very occassional swig of 50% but I wouldn’t make a habit of it simply because I don’t enjoy it. .

Most Spirits I drink on the rocks with a splash of water . .... 40% to begin with .
Even when I take some from my Keg @ 78% , first thing I do is add same amount of water to proof it down to just under 40%.
navan4
Swill Maker

Post by navan4 »

Bushman wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:16 pm There are other factors involved like the volume consumed. Here is an old thread that addresses the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8998
Thank you for the link :thumbup:
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Cask strength rums and whiskys are sold at higher proof. It's up to the drinker to decide to proof it down or not. Absinthe is meant to be diluted with water.
I don't think it's wise to drink higher than 50%.
navan4
Swill Maker

Post by navan4 »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:20 pm I don’t mind the very occassional swig of 50% but I wouldn’t make a habit of it simply because I don’t enjoy it. .
I agree with you on this!
Corsaire wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:26 pm Cask strength rums and whiskys are sold at higher proof. It's up to the drinker to decide to proof it down or not. Absinthe is meant to be diluted with water.
I don't think it's wise to drink higher than 50%.
I agree with you on this!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For me, my tastebuds don't work well for many spirits over 40%. With a few unusual exceptions, above 45%, they taste like they are sucking the blood out of my tongue.

My Absinthe's are well over 70% and I have never tasted any of them straight. That's not how it's supposed to be drunk unless you are a soccer hooligan not bothered what gutter you wake up in.
NJen
Swill Maker

Post by NJen »

I generally proof all of my drinking spirits to around 42-43%
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Lately I've been likin' 45-47%. Neat and sweet.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

For home made spirits:
Vodka at 40%, Gin at 40-45%. liqueurs 25-30%, Rums from 40 (white or spiced) to 50% (gold or amber), Whiskey from 40% to 60%.

I typically prefer to have whiskey that is stronger than 40%. One of my go to whiskeys was always Wild Turkey 101 (50.5%). Many a whiskey I would purchase is Bottled In Bond which requires 100 proof (50%). A lot of special releases are somewhere between 100 proof and cask strength.

What I do now with stuff I'm ready to bottle is make up some small samples at 40%, 45%, 50% & 55% and sit them aside for 3 days to a week and try them to see which has the best profile. If I've got a tie I can proof the spirit down to the highest I liked and repeat again to see if I might like it a little less proof as well.

I try and keep about a gallon of GNS like spirit on hand usually in the 180-185 proof range. This can be used for any infusion that Everclear is commonly used. I can use a little 4 liter stove top pot still with copper worm for a polish vodka run (and carbon filtering) or to run a gin in. Nice to have the higher GNS like spirit on hand but this is never drank at that proof.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

cayars wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:48 am
What I do now with stuff I'm ready to bottle is make up some small samples at 40%, 45%, 50% & 55% and sit them aside for 3 days to a week and try them to see which has the best profile. If I've got a tie I can proof the spirit down to the highest I liked and repeat again to see if I might like it a little less proof as well.
I like this idea. I would tend to go with the higher of two best samples, simply because my mood could change, as well as the spirit may mellow over time.

You might consider adding a vest, and even a jacket to that tie when you proof. :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Wrong kind of tie. That's the kind you wear and this is the one you have to continue to consume to find the winner. :)

But on the sample jars I find the rest brings out the true profile way more than when you just proof it down. Same with adding a bit of water to whiskey. The reaction really brings out smells and tastes that quickly dissipate.

If I'm not in a hurry I cap and will do cuts/blends about a week after running them for the same reason. Things settle over time with I think 5 weeks being optimal but at 1 week it's 80 to 90% there.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I agree. A month is standard for me.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
KSpirits75
Novice

Post by KSpirits75 »

I'd say I typically stay around 40%. I forgot to dilute my 84% absinthe to 68% after I made it. I drank a few glasses which ended up 50% diluted instead of 40%. it was so good I may had had a glass or 2 more than usual. Never have I had the room spin like that before. I always make sure stick to no more than 40% now.

I'll have to give Arak a try.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I drink nothing but straight whiskey with an ice water chaser off the shelf so anything 80 proof to cask strength works for me, but i generally prefer 90 to 100 abv for my own whiskeys. For friends to enjoy i proof to 80.

I have noticed a shot of 130 and higher makes most anyones nipples hard and skin flush like instantly. How i discovered that, well we will leave that story be.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Chauncey wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:29 pm I have noticed a shot of 130 and higher makes most anyones nipples hard and skin flush like instantly. How i discovered that, well we will leave that story be.
Have some 130 proof in your first aid kit for when someone you like has a heart attack. Have a bottle of water in it for the bastard who ripped you off, etc..
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Hahaha

Hand sanitizer and life reviver.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.